Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

44201 - 44220 of 45448 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Replaced CV Axles with Cardones. Upgraded stock rotors and calipers to larger StopTec Drilled Brake Rotors and Centric Posi Quiet Loaded Calipers. Thank You @NestsahEdition!
The red calipers look sweet behind the black TRD wheels :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Took Hugo Notte's advice on the resize, so fingers crossed this doesn't rotate :rofl:

Finally got around to plasti-dipping my stock alloys yesterday. Been wanting black wheels ever since I got her. I really like the looks of the pro comp 69 series, but would rather spend my money on other upgrades right now. Frankly, I'm pretty impressed with how they turned out, and how easy it was. Still need to do the spare, will probably get around to it Thursday.
Also, if anyone has any great advice on reviving the black trim at the base of the doors and fender flares, I'm all ears :grin
I use Mothers Back to Black liberally applied.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use Mothers Back to Black liberally applied.
I've seen back to black recommended a few times when I've searched before. I don't remember if I tried that or something else. Either way, may be time to give it another go.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
If it has been a while I will apply one healthy coat and few days later I will apply a 2nd.

Also use it on my engine, works like a charm 13+ years and the engine looks better than the day I took delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
More pics please! I want to do the same bug been very hesitant.

Took Hugo Notte's advice on the resize, so fingers crossed this doesn't rotate :rofl:

Finally got around to plasti-dipping my stock alloys yesterday. Been wanting black wheels ever since I got her. I really like the looks of the pro comp 69 series, but would rather spend my money on other upgrades right now. Frankly, I'm pretty impressed with how they turned out, and how easy it was. Still need to do the spare, will probably get around to it Thursday.

Also, if anyone has any great advice on reviving the black trim at the base of the doors and fender flares, I'm all ears :grin

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it has been a while I will apply one healthy coat and few days later I will apply a 2nd.

Also use it on my engine, works like a charm 13+ years and the engine looks better than the day I took delivery.
That's impressive, looks like it's doing the trick! I think I might have used a meguiars product, but I really don't recall.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll try to get some more up tomorrow (about to leave for work). I watched the youtube video by DipYourCar, and it was super easy. Used kitchen trash bags to cover the rotors and calipers. I didn't tape off the tires, but maybe I should have. I haven't checked it yet today to see if the overspray has dried and will peel off easily. It's really not noticeable either way, so I don't really care. I might touch them up if needed when I do the spare, but it really went on so easily, I can't believe I waited this long to do it.
I've seen people recommend sliding 3x5 cards around the rim of the wheel to keep the overspray off the tire. That seems about the easiest way to do it if you're worried at all about that sort of thing. Total it took me a bit over an hour (waiting 8-10 minutes between coats, it was warm yesterday), and little to no prep. Washed them the day prior, and took clorox wipes to anything stuck on because that seemed quick and easy.

There's really nothing to be hesitant about (even though I was too). Especially if you plan to hang on to the truck for a while. If you want to put it back to bone stock before selling it someday, everybody talks about how easy it is to peel off. I did 5 or 6 coats, spraying lightly, and it took about 3.5 cans for me. I ran the first can dry and it sprayed some little chunks toward the end, so I tossed the others as they started to feel low. The chunks blended in with the later coats.

Again, I'll try to get some better pictures/close ups tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Too bad Edmonton and Hudson Valley are so far away.. :frown I could come with lots of beer. :wink

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
These rotors were installed exactly how the diagram said in the box. Also they pre labeled with which side they were supposed to go on.

They seem to work fine to me!

Replaced CV Axles with Cardones. Upgraded stock rotors and calipers to larger StopTec Drilled Brake Rotors and Centric Posi Quiet Loaded Calipers. Thank You @NestsahEdition!
I might be wrong but it looks to me like your rotors are installed on the wrong side of the FJ. The hole or slot pattern should slope to the rear of the FJ
https://www.powerstop.com/how-to-tell-the-left-or-right-drilled-and-slotted-rotor/

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Great weekend in New York. Spent both days detailing my FJ. If I could reach it. I polished it. I really should get a girlfriend ......:wink
So would the girlfriend be so she could do the detailing for you or so you can have another car to detail too..? :rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Changed my gear oils (front & rear differentials, and transfer case) at 54,021 mileage the last of which was at 10,829. Also re-greased my u-joints & propeller shafts.

Took us less than an hour to change gear oils. The Amsoil packaging helps a lot since you no longer have to pump. A little over 5 quarts though was poured, expecting 5.8. Another less than 30 minutes to regrease the 6 nipples and my front UCA. The Metaltech LCA is impossible to put grease on. I forgot to put grease though on the rear UCA. My rear differential has the darkest used oil. Thanks to Neil aka Bonards29.

Removed all my skids (except the rear differential skid) the day prior, which took me longer than changing the oils.

Untitled by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here you go. This is about 10-15 minutes worth of prep and about an hour of painting (mostly 10 minute breaks between coats). Looking at them now, after driving so the wheels are rotated different than when I painted, there's a few minor blemishes (one of the worst I photographed- it's on the inside anyway), but they're so minor you'd never notice unless you got up close and looked for them. Easy touch up too. I really can't stress enough how easy this was. I'm really pleased with the result. I'll be doing my spare and maybe my grill this weekend.

Attachments

44201 - 44220 of 45448 Posts