Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

44281 - 44300 of 45380 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the past few months I was researching tiers wheels and ultimately I was going to go for 35” tiers and finally drove my friends truck, which is very similar setup to mine.
His got 35” KM3 with 16” Method wheels.

The only real test was to take his setup and put it on my truck, and quickly it came apparent that 4.56 is not adequate for 35” tiers and my heavy truck in my opinion and on a side note he had 4.88 and that wasn’t working for him and he went with 5.29 gears.

It is worth mentioning his truck is extremely heavy, and each of his wheel weigh close to 90 lbs.

Accelerating an unnecessary rotating mass with inadequate gears requires energy/fuel, and the acceleration process saps some of the horsepower we have available to accelerate our trucks and ultimately reducing available horsepower affects acceleration in a very predictable manner, and not to mention putting unnecessary stress on engine and transmission.

However that is not to say that 4.56 or 4.88 are not enough, and ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

My truck is heavy and I like the low-end torque with 4.56 and 33” ties.

Perhaps in the future will be going to 35” but will definitely re-gear for 35”tiers, but for now these wide 33” will do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you , im running 315/75r16 ko2, stock gears. I can feel the lag for sure and my girls a fatty lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,079 Posts
Finally got a rear skid plate! This has been sitting in my eBay watch list for 2 years. Finally satisfied with my current setup. (For now)
Is that a fold out step in your hitch receiver? More info pls

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Got my truck ready for a smog check this coming wednesday. New air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor. I was going to change the spark plugs on it but they only have 12000 miles on them. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Finally got a rear skid plate! This has been sitting in my eBay watch list for 2 years. Finally satisfied with my current setup. (For now)
[email protected] your undercarriage is clean. Tell me that is a stock photo of a new FJ. I know my midwest FJ needs attention and I've started on it but now I'm really worried.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think I need one of these. I presume you are pretty happy with it?
Helps alot with cleaning the roof and putting stuff on my rack.

[email protected] your undercarriage is clean. Tell me that is a stock photo of a new FJ. I know my midwest FJ needs attention and I've started on it but now I'm really worried.
There was a fairly good amount of rust on the frame, especially on the welds. But POR 15 and yearly touch ups definitely keeps the rust tamed.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Today I built a box to mount my ARB portable compressor and an air hose.

I just have to decide if I want to mount the compressor horizontal or vertical.

The stuff above the compressor are a dual USB port, a 12v outlet, a digital voltmeter, and a power switch.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sanded, cleaned and repainted a boztec rear differential skid plate a friend gave me for free.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, with a TON of help from FJFOOL, got my Toytec ultimate lift installed. Full thread explaining the (rather humorous) trials and tribulations incoming.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I managed to get my center switch panel mostly in place. I've actually done a lot in the last sixish months.

-Expedition One rear swing out with lights.
-Removed my power tank and replaced with ARB twin compressor (we'll see how I like this change). Installed on the drivers side shelf in the back on a Mpac rack
-Re-ran cable from the rear of the FJ to the cabin for my CB.
-Installing front fogs in my Demello, that is the last switch i have to wire and then i can button the console back up.

Still to do
-Figure out how attach my CB/Cobra 75 and the extra speaker. I think I'm going to try 3m red double sided tape before drilling more into the main dash.
-Finally get the body mount chop I've needed for a year.
-Pop my front driver OME shock off and install the spacer i decided to skip the first time around. The drivers is leaning a bit these days.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Finally got around to installing new front wheel bearings (second time on this truck).
Was happy that our little 12 ton press was able (barely) to get the old hubs out.

Just in time for summer!

44281 - 44300 of 45380 Posts