Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

45441 - 45454 of 45454 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, HelTeef started making a womp-womp noise in tune with speed, not RPM. That means drivetrain issue. I have new front bearings, rotors, pads and freshly balanced tires. So, likely it is the CV/axles, with 333K miles on them. I have to work, so she went in the shop today.

Will also get new lower O2 sensors - they been flaky for 4 years.

I will finish up the center console refurb with the rubber shift boots, new knobs, remote winch comtrol this weekend and post pics for those interested.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
I charged the battery, after jumping it with the jump box. Didn't realize with I hadn't had her out for a run in about 3 weeks and I forgot to unplug the dash cam. All good now...

Initially went out to get some info from the ECU with the OBDII dongle and Torque Pro.

34M.jpg

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, new CV/axles and 2 new cats, unfortunately the upper ones. So the bill was $2700. Now that sounds bad, until you price the cats and then figure I haven't paid a car note since 2014. So the front bearings, rotors, CV/axles and cats all in are $5000 this year. If you divide that into 6 years, you get $70/mn in repair costs. I can live with that just fine, since my original car note was $600/mn...

My new shifter knobs came in, so when HelTeef gets out the garage, I will have the rubber booted console finished in short order.
knob.png

·
Registered
45 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, new CV/axles and 2 new cats, unfortunately the upper ones. So the bill was $2700. Now that sounds bad, until you price the cats and then figure I haven't paid a car note since 2014. So the front bearings, rotors, CV/axles and cats all in are $5000 this year. If you divide that into 6 years, you get $70/mn in repair costs. I can live with that just fine, since my original car note was $600/mn...

My new shifter knobs came in, so when HelTeef gets out the garage, I will have the rubber booted console finished in short order. View attachment 1117985
Very cool. I have the white ones, and cut down my trans shifter.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

My new shifter knobs came in, so when HelTeef gets out the garage, I will have the rubber booted console finished in short order. View attachment 1117985
[/QUOT
Well, new CV/axles and 2 new cats, unfortunately the upper ones. So the bill was $2700. Now that sounds bad, until you price the cats and then figure I haven't paid a car note since 2014. So the front bearings, rotors, CV/axles and cats all in are $5000 this year. If you divide that into 6 years, you get $70/mn in repair costs.
That's a great attitude to have for such a large maint. cost. I would be the same. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's a great attitude to have for such a large maint. cost. I would be the same. :)
I figure you either buy a vehicle and keep it a good while or you just burn money. The average 4x4 is approaching $50k to purchase. At that price, financing is 6-7 years at $6-900 per month. If you plan on trading in, then you canot modify anything, as it drops value of your trade-in. So you either buy and repair, or you perpetually buy and buy again. Those are the only options for a 4x4, as renting is plain silly.

The reality is that a $6-900/month car note is almost the same as my TWO mortgages - car makers and regulations have forced everyone into the same whacky 12 air bag, lane assisting, auto braking, auto parking front wheel drive unibodies. None of that is offroad friendly, unless your definition of offroad is a gravel road.

So it's not really an attitude - it's looking at the two options and deciding which you prefer.

Plunking down $40-50,000 for a car when I bought my home for $92,000....hmmm....

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I figure you either buy a vehicle and keep it a good while or you just burn money. The average 4x4 is approaching $50k to purchase. At that price, financing is 6-7 years at $6-900 per month. If you plan on trading in, then you canot modify anything, as it drops value of your trade-in. So you either buy and repair, or you perpetually buy and buy again. Those are the only options for a 4x4, as renting is plain silly.

The reality is that a $6-900/month car note is almost the same as my TWO mortgages - car makers and regulations have forced everyone into the same whacky 12 air bag, lane assisting, auto braking, auto parking front wheel drive unibodies. None of that is offroad friendly, unless your definition of offroad is a gravel road.

So it's not really an attitude - it's looking at the two options and deciding which you prefer.

Plunking down $40-50,000 for a car when I bought my home for $92,000....hmmm....
I agree. Mine is my forever truck. I have already told my wife if it ever needs a new engine or transmission or whatever it will get whatever it needs. :)

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Removed the air lines for the airlift bags and juiced all the bolts, getting it ready to change rear springs out. Did more wiring on aux battery.

Attachments

45441 - 45454 of 45454 Posts