Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

45801 - 45820 of 47083 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I ran the coax up to the front and tuned the CB. I regretted getting the 48" firestick antenna. Mainly because of the torn meniscus in my knee. Crawling up the back of the FJ to reach up and play with a knob, then crawling back down to see what the meter was telling me, then crawling back up the back and repeat until the hurting outweighed the desire to adjust the knob by 1/8th turns.
CB is in and working and on a CH4x4 switch. Now I just have to figure out where I want the connection to stick out.
I've got one 7ft firestik antenna (highway driving) and a three footer (tuned for best SWR on CH 10 so, my swr is still good on CH 4 up to 19) and use the firestik quick disconnect to switch between antennas on the fly plus, the quick disconnect makes for much easier tuning. I'm tempted to try out a 102 inch whip antenna as they are allegedly the best for CB's but, just haven't got around to it yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The lady of the house modded the front end of my 07 two weeks ago. this is what I came home to.
BTW, she drove it like that for a mile and a half.
So more parts have been added to the resale ecosystem.
It has already been replaced with another 07 FJ. And she is ok. No injuries. The FJ is a tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
#worstmodever

I had that thing since new. Bought it in 2006. It’s serial number is in the 2000s. Now it is spare parts.
The engine ran just fine after that. I’m sure the transmission is still great too, other than it losing all its fluids through the obliterated cooler. What totaled it is the frame is bent and torn. The engine sits in the bay pointing more towards the drivers side. But the passenger compartment was all good minus the popped airbag hanging out of the steering well.

239,000 miles. Insurance wrote it off for 11,900.00. (Rounding up). Was able to get another 07 with the same miles that weekend. So now I have a black and white FJ.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What was impacted? Did she rear someone or was it head on?
Something smaller? Most of the damage looks lower.
Glad she is ok. Hope others were as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What was impacted is still not clear. I went to the scene and saw only FJ pieces.
What ever it was, it was pretty flat. To me it looked like it hit a huge cement block at an angle with passenger side first. What the photo doesn’t show is it is flattened from the hood to the bottom.
No injuries other than maybe a concussion. I wasn’t driving. The she only remembers the air bag going off. What ever was hit took off so it was burly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Where’s all the blood and hair from the animal she hit.
I’ve never seen a rear end hit and run, must have been an actual tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I bet it was one of them "stealth trucks" the space force is using.

Reactions: 4x4 Junkie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha looks just like the one I was making last weekend. I was also thinking of adding some sort of cubby under the front panel. With the hump on the floor it's a really odd shape. I'd love to be able to fit a small toolkit in/under there though.
I ended up screwing the plywood piece down in the rear section and left the plywood loose where the seats used to be. I was thinking about hinging it somehow so I could put something in that cavity. But I decided to just leave it loose, and see how often I really need under there. I might also add a few tie downs in strategic places. I'm gonna ride with it for a while and see what I need or want to do with it. Next project is to do the BMC, just waiting for dad to have some free time for an extra pair of hands!
20200208_123527.jpg 20200208_123524.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,409 Posts
Filed it with gas, washed it.

Drove it to work,.....can't even tell I washed it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Replaced the window trim as it was peeling. Also installed some cool flush mount lights in the door pockets. Gonna put a couple above the push buttons on the dash console and a couple in the middle console as well. Hoping to tie them all into the dimmer switch.
View attachment 1121453 View attachment 1121454 View attachment 1121455 View attachment 1121456
That's pretty cleaver, I might have to do the same one day, totally looks factory since it's hidden. How does it night up at night though? Is it useful lighting?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ended up screwing the plywood piece down in the rear section and left the plywood loose where the seats used to be. I was thinking about hinging it somehow so I could put something in that cavity. But I decided to just leave it loose, and see how often I really need under there. I might also add a few tie downs in strategic places. I'm gonna ride with it for a while and see what I need or want to do with it. Next project is to do the BMC, just waiting for dad to have some free time for an extra pair of hands!
View attachment 1122258 View attachment 1122257
That looks really good so far, funny how even with the rear seats gone, still not a very large cargo area... People always think I can fit stuff in the truck because the truck is big from the outside, but with a coupe of storage boxes in the back and a fridge, I straggle fitting groceries half the time.

·
Registered
978 Posts
View attachment 1122258 View attachment 1122257
Nice, i'm basically at that point. Just got the wood finishing bits. There's not a ton of space under there but i'll take it. I've pondered over a few ideas from fiberglass, to mesh bags, and beyond. I'm just gonna seal up the edges of the metal frame to the floor with some wood like that post above. I also want to run a piece down the middle inside to make it into two compartments. Maybe some flat hinges for the lid(s?) There's enough space for a toolbox and some extras for sure.

That looks really good so far, funny how even with the rear seats gone, still not a very large cargo area... People always think I can fit stuff in the truck because the truck is big from the outside, but with a coupe of storage boxes in the back and a fridge, I straggle fitting groceries half the time.
Definitely, the FJ is so bulbous you'd think it would be huge on the inside. I was sweating when I went to get the wood, the 4ft sheet took every inch across the back door opening. Our wee little Sportage has way more usable of a space even without removing the seats. Those Costco fordable storage container/bags are great for the FJ, at least that you can keep your groceries somewhat contained. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's pretty cleaver, I might have to do the same one day, totally looks factory since it's hidden. How does it night up at night though? Is it useful lighting?
Still waiting on a few items before I rip everything open and wire it all. They should provide enough light to serve their purpose. I decided to go with a dedicated locking push button switch so I can use them as needed. I'll post more pics once they're wired.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Replaced PCV and added catch can. Bought some D pillar speaker wire connections from Crutchfield so I can unhook exciters and add some 4 inch coax speaker I have laying around.

45801 - 45820 of 47083 Posts