Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

45821 - 45835 of 45835 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Disassembled the swing out arm because I noticed some rusty water drops underneath it. Looks like the large nut (lower left) is the source of the rust. How do I clean out the old grease in the bearings so I can put new grease in? There is pitting on the spindle and inside the swing out arm (pics 2 and 3). Is it OK to wire brush this off? Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Disassembled the swing out arm because I noticed some rusty water drops underneath it. Looks like the large nut (lower left) is the source of the rust. How do I clean out the old grease in the bearings so I can put new grease in? There is pitting on the spindle and inside the swing out arm (pics 2 and 3). Is it OK to wire brush this off? Any other thoughts?
View attachment 1122426
View attachment 1122427
View attachment 1122428
Is that a Red Eye bumper from Metal Tech 4x4? Looks like mine.

I screwed up the lower seal on mine and got water inside. My spindle didn't look quite as bad. Bearings totally shot though.

Your bearings and races ok? Got a rebuild kit from MT4x4, bearings, races etc. Had to have a shop remove and install new races. MT is local for me.

As far as the spindle, one of the guys on here probably has a idea what to do. Cleaned everything with solvent then I used steel wool and emery to clean it up.

Good luck!

IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
A tire repair boot with stem should fix it. Use these all the time.

Will one of those things fix something like this? Asking for a friend.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Replaced the radiator coolant and changed the trans fluid today. While under my FJ I noticed that the drivers side CV axle is blowing grease all over the place and the passenger side is really cracked and ready to go at anytime. I`m going to order a couple from rock auto. I have heard the cardone brand is really good. So it looks like I`ll have a fairly big project next sunday (my day off ). I can`t complain they lasted 13 1/2 years and that's with a ton of offroading :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My (almost 14-year-old) son and I put Diode Dynamics LEDs in the dome, cargo, backup and mirror lights. My mirror lights were burned out when I bought the car, so this is a nifty fix. We did the just-under-max-power LEDS, cool blue, in all lights.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Washed it inside and out. changed the oil and filter. cleaned and oiled the air cleaner ( 1lb of dirt and sand from the king of the hammers trip lol ) cleaned the K&N cabin filter also had ton of king of the hammers dirt in it. cleaned the RTT up.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Replaced the radiator coolant and changed the trans fluid today. While under my FJ I noticed that the drivers side CV axle is blowing grease all over the place and the passenger side is really cracked and ready to go at anytime. I`m going to order a couple from rock auto. I have heard the cardone brand is really good. So it looks like I`ll have a fairly big project next sunday (my day off ). I can`t complain they lasted 13 1/2 years and that's with a ton of offroading :)
Do not order one from Rock Auto Steve. The Cardone binds at full droop. I have already been down this road. The best thing to do is rebuild the Toyota axle. I have rebuilt both of mine and it is not that difficult. There are several videos online that show how.
Here is a link to the boot kit that I used: FJ Cruiser Front CV Boot Kit 2007-09 [04427-60141] - $56.24 : Pure FJ Cruiser, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser

·
トヨタ Master
6,351 Posts
Do not order one from Rock Auto Steve. The Cardone binds at full droop. I have already been down this road. The best thing to do is rebuild the Toyota axle. I have rebuilt both of mine and it is not that difficult. There are several videos online that show how.
Here is a link to the boot kit that I used: FJ Cruiser Front CV Boot Kit 2007-09 [04427-60141] - $56.24 : Pure FJ Cruiser, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser
Irving is right Steve. Plus Cardone is probably the worst rebuilder of CV shafts in this country. You'd be better off buying a new NAPA unit for a few extra bucks, but personally I'd rather have OE, even if it means getting a used one from a salvage yard. You can get a boot kit and rebuild the original also. I know you're good with tools so I know you can handle it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Irving is right Steve. Plus Cardone is probably the worst rebuilder of CV shafts in this country. You'd be better off buying a new NAPA unit for a few extra bucks, but personally I'd rather have OE, even if it means getting a used one from a salvage yard. You can get a boot kit and rebuild the original also. I know you're good with tools so I know you can handle it.
Well they have already shipped. I don`t offroad near as hard as Chris does. I`m going to keep my OE axles and rebuild them so I have them if I ever need them. :)

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Another source is CVJ axle in Colorado if you want to just swap your cores. they only use OEM Toyota axles. they have some boot options also. i am using them with there red high angle inner boot very happy.
IMG_20180713_193021413.jpg
IMG_20180715_155729449_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don`t offroad near as hard as Chris does.
You dont have to wheel hard when they bind at full droop. I even put the diff drop kit on and they still would bind. If you pick a wheel up off the ground, it may break. That was my fear at least. The Cardone is now my trail spare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Installed Bilstein 5100s with the fronts on the 3rd notch. Also replaced the top strut mounts. Just reused the stock springs for now. Great new stance and the ride is much improved. Front is slightly higher now so might get new taller rear springs one day. Didn’t even break anything doing it myself:) lol. Now to get an alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Installed Bilstein 5100s with the fronts on the 3rd notch. Also replaced the top strut mounts. Just reused the stock springs for now. Great new stance and the ride is much improved. Front is slightly higher now so might get new taller rear springs one day. Didn’t even break anything doing it myself:) lol. Now to get an alignment.
I have the same suspension setup (same shocks, also on third notch, and stock springs), works well, reliable, nowhere near as comfy as my long travel tacoma but does it's job. I have no regrets. I've also considered lifting the rear but mines pretty level when it's being daily but it does sag a bit when we load it up. Have debating on airbags or the eibach springs (1.5'') but dont really want to do any work at this point.

45821 - 45835 of 45835 Posts