Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

45841 - 45860 of 46066 Posts

·
Registered
2010TT 6MT, Grunt 2nd tray-VMax 85Ah AGM-2000W Samlex, RCI skids, Stoptech Cryo Slot Rotors-Trd pads
15 Posts
Just got back from a month long on-the-road-off-the-road work trip from NY to Miami to Atlanta, back and all the surrounding areas. Have to give the FJ a little love always after these trips soooo...
1. Threw out the stock garbage skid plates before I left since I was pissed about all the rust in my eye doing an oil change. Replaced with RCI steel engine skid (and probably now going to get the transmission plate too, after seeing the quality in person). Easy access for frequent oil changes due to their access panels. Installed easy peasy with 2 floor jacks and jack stands. RCI engine skid 2010-2014
2. Why no backup camera, no beeps and no lights?? Had to replace the backup switch on the transmission case. Duralast at autozone
3. Backup lights?? Well let’s just get LEDs now that they work! Amazon - much brighter than stock!
4. Speaking of lights, WTH is with the ABS/Brake/TractionCtrl Xmas tree?? Left rear speed sensor, code read on a Xmas present obdII reader from my mom I got years ago! Autozone couldn’t read it). This part I got on eBay cheap as an original Toyota part. It works and it’s easy to replace, so I took a shot. Cleared the lights by jumping #4 and #13 on the obdII reader port under the dash (I know, the wrong way, but it works and I needed a NY state inspection! They are picky!) ps if you do this, turn key, lights on dash lit, paper clip the jump, Tap brakes 8 times fast, turn key off, remove clip, start the truck. Bingo! Lights off.
5. Removed the 5in thick, 72”? RV memory foam mattress from the back and allllll the work crap.
6. Clean, disinfect, repeat, next project.
:)
Happy Owner!
2010 TT 6MT Lots of mods to make it easy to sleep In my vehicle on the road. I’m a chick only 5’4” LOL removed the rear seats and throw in a comfy RV mattress. 2000W Samlex pure sine inverter, Ram Mount laptop tray, dual front battery Setup with 85AH AGM deep cycle battery, some battery tray from Australia that is an ill-fitted “custom fj“ tray.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Since I needed to replace the passenger side headlamp, I rooted around 'til I found the SilverLux Pro led headlamps I bought last year and installed them both. I can't tell a thing about the light pattern yet (still snowing) but they do look a little brighter. The previous owner installed Night Eyes, so I had to use an H11 bulb. One of these days I am going to go back to the stock head light housings and be a lot happier than I am now.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I touched up the paint on the brush guard part of my front bumper. It was getting eroded from all of the dust around here. I use a hammered finish black spray paint for this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is that a Red Eye bumper from Metal Tech 4x4? Looks like mine.
It's the expedition one. If it was shiny I went after it with a stainless steel wire brush. If it was greasy I cleaned it with a de-greaser called SuperClean. The bearing seemed fine so I repacked them with grease and put it all back together. Used plenty of threadlocker on the top cap. I set a reminder a year from now to inspect. My working theory is that I got water in it through the bottom seal when using high pressure water at the self serve car wash.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Its Sunday morning....cv axle replacement day and its raining. I`m going to wait and hour or so and if it keeps raining I`m going to change them anyway. Really need to get these done. Looking like today is going to suck :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
:eek:😥,
But, yep 🤔...it'll buff right out! :oops::rolleyes:🥴

D🤠🐮

·
Registered
83 Posts
@DirtyRicky any pics from the “tight spot”? Almost looks like you laid on the side!
Someone did get a few pictures and a video of the recovery. I tried to stay to the right but a lil too much speed and threw me right into the wall. It was worse but pulled out by hand and a ratchet strap enoughto open the door. Everythingelse was fine. Bumper protected the light

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
6,206 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,206 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Well the rain cleared up and I got both my cv axles done. It took me about 3 hours to get both handles. I watched a few different youtube videos and used all the tips from all of them. I made this cool noose out of 1/8 in cable that fit perfectly behind the axle. I looped the other end around my sledge hammer and both those axles popped right out. My tie rods were the toughest part to break free. They have never been off in almost 14 years. I beat the snot out of them with a couple hammers and they finally came free. All in all not a difficult job. :)
20200223_111658.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed my oil, replaced the filter housing with the aluminum one, and greased all zerks!

45841 - 45860 of 46066 Posts