Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

46041 - 46060 of 46073 Posts

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
Been waiting on mine since before Thanksgiving. Mike was communicating for a while, but he hasn't responded to my last three messages on Facebook. Pretty frustrating.
Yea that’s a reoccurring theme. Don’t ask me how I know.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I managed to strip the allen wrench hole in the drain plug on the front diff today. Anyone got any tips or tricks to maybe get this thing out. I figure if anything I can just pump out the old fluid through the fill hole if needed. I would like to fix this though :)
Did you get the plug out yet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unfortunate that I've been allotted more me time with the mandatory non-essential business shut down and shelter in place (I do hope everyone is healthy and staying safe). Can't think of a better time to start a few projects I've been wanting to accomplish on my FJ.

Starting with some interior management by way of Greyman Tactical. I have various ideas on how to utilize the additional space, but right now it's as you see it on a daily. Decided to extend the RMP (Ridged Molle Panel) out a full inch with nylon spacers that I Plastidipped matte black and black M6 cap screws. Reason I went an inch is so I can utilize space behind the RMP for guides and/or maps. I replaced one M6 screw closest to the driver with an M6 eye bolt. Great way to hang keys from, USB cord management, or to secure anything and everything, like a plastic bag for trash or something. I added a generic flashlight mount for the passenger, perfect size for a Surefire Defender.

It's all building from here!

IMG_8106.jpeg IMG_8120.jpeg

·
Registered
2012 Toyota FJ TT
10 Posts
Here's what we done today and I hope this is the right place to post this. If not just park it where it should go. So since purchasing the FJ about a month ago we've only driven it a few times but I decided to go ahead and take it and have it professionally undercoated. The underneath looked great and I wanted it to remain that way after reading all the post on here about the underneath paint on this not being that thick and I don't ever want to have to worry about it. The shop I took it to is call Auto Image and does all the vehicles for the local state departments and I've had them do every jeep I've ever owned. They can do just about anything to a vehicle and their work and attention to detail is amazing! While they had I also had them go ahead and swirl and polish it and had a ceramic coating applied to the paint wheels and headlights which will last a couple of years. If you haven't ever heard of it you should look into it because it's amazing because all you have to do is spray it off when it gets dirty and it looks like it was just waxed and protects the paint also. So anyway the owner Chris just called and said it would be ready for pick up tomorrow and sent me some pics that I'm sharing with you guys to see what you think. He said he could tell that it had always been garage kept because it turned out great. He said "if you thought it was red before it's RED..RED now Lol". Anyway I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and see it in person. Let me know what you guys think.
IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG IMG_1973.JPG IMG_1974.JPG IMG_1975.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Did you get the plug out yet?
Not yet. Haven`t tried yet either. Weather has been pathetic for weeks now. The fluid in the front diff is still clear so not an emergency to change. I still have to go get a new plug from the dealer. I`ll post up when I finally get to it. :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Here's what we done today and I hope this is the right place to post this. If not just park it where it should go. So since purchasing the FJ about a month ago we've only driven it a few times but I decided to go ahead and take it and have it professionally undercoated. The underneath looked great and I wanted it to remain that way after reading all the post on here about the underneath paint on this not being that thick and I don't ever want to have to worry about it. The shop I took it to is call Auto Image and does all the vehicles for the local state departments and I've had them do every jeep I've ever owned. They can do just about anything to a vehicle and their work and attention to detail is amazing! While they had I also had them go ahead and swirl and polish it and had a ceramic coating applied to the paint wheels and headlights which will last a couple of years. If you haven't ever heard of it you should look into it because it's amazing because all you have to do is spray it off when it gets dirty and it looks like it was just waxed and protects the paint also. So anyway the owner Chris just called and said it would be ready for pick up tomorrow and sent me some pics that I'm sharing with you guys to see what you think. He said he could tell that it had always been garage kept because it turned out great. He said "if you thought it was red before it's RED..RED now Lol". Anyway I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and see it in person. Let me know what you guys think.
Very nice! I wish I could feel the same way about our local, heavily used, undercoating dealer. I just don't trust they'll do a good job.

Anyway... what did it look like before you had it undercoated? Was it at all rusty? Being in NC, and I'm from Iowa, I don't think you guys have near the rust problem on the underside of cars as we do.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota FJ TT
10 Posts
No it actually looked great (I'll attach a couple of pics I took before) I just didn't want it to ever be an issue down the road. Like I said I always have it done and after reading all the post on here about other people having issues I wanted him to check all the weld points and scrap anything he saw off because everyone says that's the worst places on these. So their process is pulling wheels off then steam washing the entire underneath and scrapping any places they find off no matter how small and treating that with Ospho and/or PR-15 (if necessary) and let it sit for 48 hours. Then they come back and apply the undercoating and let that sit for another 24 hours. They are the best in Western NC in my opinion. They have a long waiting list to get in because people come from all over to use them. Hope this helps!
Here's a couple of before pics.....
IMG_1816.jpg IMG_1815.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts
No it actually looked great (I'll attach a couple of pics I took before) I just didn't want it to ever be an issue down the road. Like I said I always have it done and after reading all the post on here about other people having issues I wanted him to check all the weld points and scrap anything he saw off because everyone says that's the worst places on these. So their process is pulling wheels off then steam washing the entire underneath and scrapping any places they find off no matter how small and treating that with Ospho and/or PR-15 (if necessary) and let it sit for 48 hours. Then they come back and apply the undercoating and let that sit for another 24 hours. They are the best in Western NC in my opinion. They have a long waiting list to get in because people come from all over to use them. Hope this helps!
Here's a couple of before pics.....
Maybe I'll just do it then, bc the local shop here does the same process or so it sounds. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Out with the old in with the new

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay, it’s not even worth a picture but I am so bored that I took both front seats completely out so I could fully clean under them. About five pounds of dog hair, M&Ms, lots of Nutter Butter pieces and several yellow postit notes about what to buy at the grocery. All gone now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Swapping out my reg antenna for a TRD carbon fibre 5” stubby. I’ll keep the stock antenna in the back somewhere in case I really need it when I’m in the middle of nowhere? And it works well as a wire fishing tool 😉

Makita battery for scale. About $20 on eBay. 2 min install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been trying to get to this for 2 years, thank goodness for government mandated quarantine, I finally had time.
I had no idea how much mounting hardware I was going to have to take off on her neath the Toyota grill. Everything's going good next week I'll have to mod some of the mounting brackets so that I can get them in there to support the headlights a little better, also need to get underneath and get all the under body painted and the headlights installed but at least I got the bumper on today.

46041 - 46060 of 46073 Posts