Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

46581 - 46600 of 46888 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
IMG_4059.jpg
Tired of my fire extinguisher rolling around in the back so I made a bar to mount it to. I have my compressor/ammo can and tool box lashed to it for the moment to help free up floor space in the back.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Don't over think it. (y)
You made a good point. It's my fault for not using stock size tires and overheating the OE fluid. There's not an easy answer (or so I thought) to whether all these aftermarket fluids are okay without further diving in and many times they just say Asian vehicles allowed and no mention of Dex-II/III classification.

I wasn't lol.. skimmed through it and sounds like the good stuff. 700° is absolutely nuts gu . I don't know if it's just internet myths or heresy but I was always worried about screwing up my system with an aftermarket PS fluid because many of them don't list their composition on the bottle. And like you, I was in search of an improved system over the OEM that has no filter or cooler. And my fluid was burnt/caked in the reservoir also.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I hate to be that guy 🤦‍♂️ But i am going to be that guy . just so i understand this . So what ever swamp water Toyota Puts in from the factory and can last 100s of thousands of Miles . is now inferior and we need Filters, Magnets to catch what the filter does not catch. Coolers to cool the filtered and strained Fluid . and Now we need some Aero space super fluid so we do not boil our steering swamp water ? And you are saying this because the upgraded contact patch of your tire vs a oe tire ?

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Have you calculated how many additional ft lbs of pressure it takes to move your new Tires vs OE ? and How many degrees each additional ft lb raises the temp ?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
@Firemedic831 Well it's a combination of things besides tire size, but sorry, I didn't feel the need to specify tires, terrain, ambient temps would have effected the Toyota PS fluid at the time. It's nice to know there's alternatives to Toyota swamp water with consistencies matching or better. That doesn't make Toyota any less or inferior. But avoiding contamination and cavitation are not new reasons for wanting to improve by an additional filter or better fluid dynamics in the system.

I serviced mine around the time I was on 35s. It had the low groan/ squeal and saw contaminants floating/solidifying around the reservoir. Now my current filter is regulating particulates from roaming about the steering system.

I haven't measured temps, new VS OE tires because OE tires were off pretty quickly. But I have measured on/offroad temps after moving up to 35s for logging purposes which gave me a better picture. And I've been doing that since I had larger tires because everyone said it would destroy my steering or break an axle. But there was little to no truth in the internet hearsay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
To me the next questions would be - What temp does PS fluid reach? Follow up - Does it warrant a cooler if temps are say....below 500F?
Just searching around online, PSF temps really shouldn't exceed 300F. Obviously, the lower the temperature, I'd figure the PSF would have a longer life. Hitting 700F, I can't imagine the PSF having a long life at all but, above all, if it's hitting 700F you've gotta have some type of problem!

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Firemedic831 Well it's a combination of things besides tire size, but sorry, I didn't feel the need to specify tires, terrain, ambient temps would have effected the Toyota PS fluid at the time. It's nice to know there's alternatives to Toyota swamp water with consistencies matching or better. That doesn't make Toyota any less or inferior. But avoiding contamination and cavitation are not new reasons for wanting to improve by an additional filter or better fluid dynamics in the system.

I serviced mine around the time I was on 35s. It had the low groan/ squeal and saw contaminants floating/solidifying around the reservoir. Now my current filter is regulating particulates from roaming about the steering system.

I haven't measured temps, new VS OE tires because OE tires were off pretty quickly. But I have measured on/offroad temps after moving up to 35s for logging purposes which gave me a better picture. And I've been doing that since I had larger tires because everyone said it would destroy my steering or break an axle. But there was little to no truth in the internet hearsay.
Are you using a magnefine filter also?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Trying Ruthenium Spark plugs from NGK. Install sure wasn’t hard. Only problem was getting the points unplugged in the drivers side. Now silicone sprayed housing (carefully) Some of the bolts holding them on were tough for 7lb of torque? Maybe over torqued by last owner. Thought I might have broken 2, but didn’t. All have anti-seize now.
Just got mine in a few weeks ago and running great. anti-seize and torque wrench - yes! This was the first time I used a torque wrench for the plugs. Before, I would just go from a 12 o'clock position with the wrench to a 12:45 (3/4) position.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Trying Ruthenium Spark plugs from NGK. Install sure wasn’t hard. Only problem was getting the points unplugged in the drivers side. Now silicone sprayed housing (carefully) Some of the bolts holding them on were tough for 7lb of torque? Maybe over torqued by last owner. Thought I might have broken 2, but didn’t. All have anti-seize now.
Where did you buy your plugs from? Gotta be careful these days as they're counterfeit auto parts galore out there. I ordered from sparkplugs.com (parent company, Monarch Products, Inc) after calling NGK USA and verifying that they are an authorized seller.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Are you using a magnefine filter also?
I had planned to. After talking to a steering specialty company, an aftermarket reservoir worked out better. It includes an internal filter that the ports run through.

pfn-sr146h610sa_xl.jpg 143691-add1-lg.jpg
External filter
howe-power-steering-reservoir-w-filter-8-10-1.jpg

46581 - 46600 of 46888 Posts