Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

46601 - 46620 of 46847 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Fun Fact PS fluid runs around 110-130 deg. and gets up to 170 . Also Polypropylene ( you know that thing that Toyota made that holds the Fluid ) melts at 320 deg . Were 700* is coming from is kinda funny

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fun Fact PS fluid runs around 110-130 deg. and gets up to 170 . Also Polypropylene ( you know that thing that Toyota made that holds the Fluid ) melts at 320 deg . Were 700* is coming from is kinda funny
That's just the maximum temperature the PSF itself can handle. Not sure if that was flash point or fire point of the fluid.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
That was two facts. Cool it on all this knowledge!

Whatever max temp is does not represent how well the fluid viscosity reacts to temperature changes. The fluid can change consistency and that's where the not so fun magic happens.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
A few more Facts. These are the MSDS sheets

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
7,890 Posts
Fun fact. Toyota's original Dex-II (in 1973) was actually licensed rebrand of GM Dex-II(C) so I blame GM for all my problems where this started 🤭
Funny you mention that, I've often said it was GM too. In fact, GM made the components for the 1st Toyota A/T components back in the day, hence the Dex affilitation. The bad news nowadays=AISIN makes a superior product to GM in transmissions and GM has contracted and been using them now for some years...and guess what? A lot of them still recommend DEXIII or DEX VI now. A lot of people also think the auto manufacturer makes the fluid too so they stick with it. Nope. Major petroleum companies such as Mobil, Valvoline, LiquiMoly, and others make the fluids that go into them, and all auto manufacturers only produce about 50-80% of what drives off the showroom floor. The rest is made by vendors and then assembled by the auto makers in their factories. But you knew all that. :cool:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
you knew all that. :cool:
I didn't! but thanks for thinking that I know more than I actually do. ;)

Back on topic, fixed my limit straps yesterday. I had to space it out enough so it doesn't bind on compression. Not ideal but I've been hearing horror stories about clevis mounts failing so eventually I'll change to fixed brackets instead. Also, proper shank cut bolts.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Doing some minor stuff these past few days. Took out al the key cylinders and took them to a locksmith and have him use the ignition key to make them all the same. Previously, the passenger door was from another vehicle and nothing fit, and the drivers door and rear door used another key blank (long boring story not worth your time to read). Now the ignition key fits everything and has full functionality with all locks. $135 total. But it works.

Removed the oem second bash plate so I could install the new one from Ricochet. I discovered oil on the front of the engine, and evidence of a leak on the old bash plate. I said bad words not heard before in my neighborhood. I don't know at this point what the source is, may even be from my last oil change when my funnel slipped. So Imma gonna wait a bit. I put the new bash plate on and will check it next week to seek how much is leaking. It looks like the front of the engine is easily accessible if you remove the bumper, etc. Any ideas are welcome.

Put the molle plate in the driver's side rear window with safety stuff on it. This is from Refined Cycle and Offroad and I really like it. They have another rack that stretches across the ceiling from coat hanger to coat hanger. I'm thinking I may need that too for other odds and ends.

When I was preparing to paint, I debadged the rear. So I added this emblem so people would know I had 4WD available if I choose.

Finally, I learned with the new bash plate that I am no longer the youth I was at 65, and I had to use a jack to hold it up to start the bolts. Dang it Bobby!!

·
トヨタ Master
7,890 Posts
I didn't! but thanks for thinking that I know more than I actually do. ;)

Back on topic, fixed my limit straps yesterday. I had to space it out enough so it doesn't bind on compression. Not ideal but I've been hearing horror stories about clevis mounts failing so eventually I'll change to fixed brackets instead. Also, proper shank cut bolts.

View attachment 1130562 View attachment 1130563
I need to do that too. The new straps are still in cellophane in my office collecting dust probably. Maybe I'll do that next week. (y)

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
All of that talk about Dexron and such gave me a flashback. Working on Chinook helicopters the joke was that if it wasn't leaking hydraulic fluid to get out of it, as it was out of hydraulic fluid. The floors were always slippery. Trying not to slip and fall on the way out of the back ramp when skydiving was a treat everyone should experience.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
46601 - 46620 of 46847 Posts