Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

46661 - 46671 of 46671 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Ok I have to weld a nut on my front diff drain plug to get it off. I have never done this before. Should I take the fill pull out to vent any heat or does it not matter? I just don`t want to do any damage or burn my FJ down :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Drain plug means there is oil in it. That oil and the metal mass of clamshell alone will absorb whatever heat you will create welding the nut on. I don’t know what your plan is I did this on a similar problem years ago and I welded a rod coupling to the plug. It takes some pre planning. In this plug we know it uses a 10 mm Allen. So just guessing right now a 6 mm rod coupling would likely require a 10 mm wrench. Tap that rod coupling into the plug and tack that in. It will stay in place will you tack. If you have the clamshell out with the plug horizontal with ground anything will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Drain plug means there is oil in it. That oil and the metal mass of clamshell alone will absorb whatever heat you will create welding the nut on. I don’t know what your plan is I did this on a similar problem years ago and I welded a rod coupling to the plug. It takes some pre planning. In this plug we know it uses a 10 mm Allen. So just guessing right now a 6 mm rod coupling would likely require a 10 mm wrench. Tap that rod coupling into the plug and tack that in. It will stay in place will you tack. If you have the clamshell out with the plug horizontal with ground anything will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After thinking about it for a minute I decided I would tap a sacaficle 10mm allen wrench in there so it will stay there while I tac it in.

·
トヨタ Master
7,717 Posts
Ok I have to weld a nut on my front diff drain plug to get it off. I have never done this before. Should I take the fill pull out to vent any heat or does it not matter? I just don`t want to do any damage or burn my FJ down :)
I've done it a few times. If you do it this way, leave the fill plug in to keep oxygen from getting to the case. Make a few tack welds and then a good fast, hot rosette weld. The bigger the nut, the better. Keep an extinguisher handy. I like the allen wrench idea better.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I've done it a few times. If you do it this way, leave the fill plug in to keep oxygen from getting to the case. Make a few tack welds and then a good fast, hot rosette weld. The bigger the nut, the better. Keep an extinguisher handy. I like the allen wrench idea better.
Yeah the allen wrench seemed easier to do :)

46661 - 46671 of 46671 Posts