Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

46841 - 46860 of 46903 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I extended my rear diff breather and changed the fluid out to synthetic. Stuff that was in there was definitely water contaminated. I can't believe Toyota put the breather for the rear diff there on an offroad vehicle...

Found a tiny hole in my outer CV boot, got a new boot kit on the way.

·
Registered
803 Posts
All the rust threads recently got me thinking and I decided to look under my FJ’s skirt and found what I thought was too much rust on her bottom 😖

I wirebrushed it and soap-and-water cleaned the diff and rear axel (it will need similar work to a lesser extent on the frame) and I’ll be repainting and corrosion-treating It as soon as we get more dry weather in the PNW

Dan

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
152 Posts
All the rust threads recently got me thinking and I decided to look under my FJ’s skirt and found what I thought was too much rust on her bottom 😖

I wirebrushed it and soap-and-water cleaned the diff and rear axel (it will need similar work to a lesser extent on the frame) and I’ll be repainting and corrosion-treating It as soon as we get more dry weather in the PNW

Dan
I wonder if anyone has tried using the home version of a mini sand blaster for the rust. Maybe it would work on the larger areas? My fear is it would damage something but maybe not. Use a wood or metal shield as you go along?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
238 Posts
Took my rear bumper off and cleaned out all the mud. Started doing some scaling. Fjs going on stands this weekend and I'm wire wheeling, scaling, and using die grinder wheels to clean the stupid rust off the frame. Trying my own new rust prevention recipe. Shh top secret.

Fun fact after I took my bumper off I looked in those pressure vents for the cabin and found a sealed condom. As far as I'm aware a dealer in pittsburgh is the only place to have taken the bumper off prior to me owning the fj. I'm afraid my fjs been violated... after having a laugh I washed the frame off well and dried it with the air gun.

20200701_195803.jpg

20200701_194949.jpg

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I think they have small home sand blasting units. Has anyone tried them for rust in the bigger safer areas? I thought about making some wood or metal shields to protect the more vulnerable parts. It could be a waste of time or cause a bigger mess just wondering if anybody else has tried it yet?

The condom may have been from a Jeep.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
changed front diff, transfer case, rear diff, and engine oil. I've had enough of fluids for awhile.

Walked away from the truck for 30 minutes, came back and a raccoon was sitting in the driver seat. Scared the crap out of me.
I live up in the mountains I have those critters and a lot more running around my neighborhood. A while back I went to take the trash out and there was a bear beating the crap out of my trash can looking for a snack. It went one way and I went the other. Pretty cool though :)

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried using the home version of a mini sand blaster for the rust. Maybe it would work on the larger areas? My fear is it would damage something but maybe not. Use a wood or metal shield as you go along?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
Yes and it works very well. Here is what I was using. For shielding I used a flexible cutting board from the dollar store and glass bead as the media.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Hi Mikey,

So.. I have looked at a ton of strings (Maybe I missed them) about rust but I have yet to come across someone using a sand blaster type system. I have see different types of blasting medium being used from sand to glass beads (you) and even crushed walnut shells.Thanks in advance for sharing!!

Some (Many) questions:

1 to 5 how effective did it work 5 being the best?

Did you recapture the beads and re-use them?

Cost of setup?

Connects to an air compressor?

Does it get inside the nooks and crannies?

Did it damage anything?

Ease of use? A respirator is a must, goggles and I see ear muffs.

How much of a mess did it make?

Any downside?

If you had to do it again what would you do different?

Any pictures of before or after?

Sorry for the long list of questions my hope is this is a game changer.

Regards, Andy

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
Hi Mikey,

So.. I have looked at a ton of strings (Maybe I missed them) about rust but I have yet to come across someone using a sand blaster type system. I have see different types of blasting medium being used from sand to glass beads (you) and even crushed walnut shells.Thanks in advance for sharing!!

Some (Many) questions:

1 to 5 how effective did it work 5 being the best?

Did you recapture the beads and re-use them?

Cost of setup?

Connects to an air compressor?

Does it get inside the nooks and crannies?

Did it damage anything?

Ease of use? A respirator is a must, goggles and I see ear muffs.

How much of a mess did it make?

Any downside?

If you had to do it again what would you do different?

Any pictures of before or after?

Sorry for the long list of questions my hope is this is a game changer.

Regards, Andy

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
Effective - I would give it a solid 4

Bead reuse? - Yes, swept up the mess and filtered it through a mesh strainer - also from the dollar - to separate the media from the trash.

Cost? - I think the pot was ~40.00, guard $1, mesh strainer $2 and price of media

Air compressor or Co2 tank

Ease of use - for the most part it is pretty good, I can adjust the spray pattern to be wide or more of a pin point. Tighter spaces take some maneuvering and bendiness. It can get dusty so a respirator is a good idea, Face shield over goggles, the ear muffs were more for the compressor as mine is noisy.

Mess - If your careful where you point it you can majority of the mess under/around the FJ. Clean up is pretty straight forward, sweep and filter.

Downside - noisy (compressor), it can make a mess, time - if your compressor is not big enough and you have to wait for it pressure up again. Depending on how much media you have you may have to stop, lean and filter before going again. Maybe media costs

Nooks and crannies - for the most part yes, there were a few spots that needed the manual touch.

Do different - I would have glass bead for the work in and around soft surfaces - hoses, brake lines, reservoir hoses etc and a grit (aluminum oxide) for the bigger areas like the rear cross member area under the bumper, rear diff etc.

Only pic I have is of a test hit I did on my rear shocks, it was a quick 5 second pass and you can see the nice clean metal vs the corroded. The fitting on the reservoir hose was sprayed with no guard and there is no damage to the hose. Also a pic of the media before filtering and the mess on the floor.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Another question ...

What did you use to protect the area when you are done and does it last?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Another question ...

What did you use to protect the area when you are done and does it last?

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
I use this:
It will last longer than many of the methods mentioned here. I honestly crawl under once every 3 years or so and touch up as needed, 14 yrs and she still looks good.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,510 Posts
Started my stereo upgrade. Speakers installed in panels beside the rear seats. Pulled the first side to check the space...there’s room for a family of illegal immigrants in there! So a real easy install, didn’t even pull the panel on the second side. Head unit awaiting fscia panel and wiring adaptors before I can continue.

·
Registered
2013 FJ OD Manual
192 Posts
Tell us how it worked out!
Logged near 800 miles, Hwy 2 East to 97 North to Tonasket then East on 20 to Aeneas Valley & the cabin. Sunday South 97 to 17 to Ti-Cities for a night. Picked up some metal siding and towed home to Lake Stevens.
No back issue, no shooting pain in the hip! We did get out of the rig evey 2-3 hours for our pooch Sebastian & ourselves to stretch but I'm very happy with the outcome. I will have some foam added (lumbar) at the next trip to the shop for heated seats but overall I've saved thousands of dollars when I was considering Scheel-mann & or Riccaro seats.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I finally got some more maintenance done today. All new Upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, serpentine belt and cabin filter. Still have a few more things to do. I also broke a damn bolt taking off the skid plate. I got a good size drill bit and drilled the thing out and put a bolt thru an access hole and got it fixed :)
20200703_104623 (2).jpg

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Took the floor mats out and cleaned them. Removed the doggie hammock from the back seat out and washed it too. Then vacuumed the interior.
We get a lot of dust here. I leave the windows open a bit when it’s 95 and sunny out.

46841 - 46860 of 46903 Posts