Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

48321 - 48340 of 48360 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took the FJ for its first drive after the fluid change and the shudder is still there. It's just as bad as before the change. My wife's old 2012 pilot had a shudder and it went away instantly after I did a transmission fluid change. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I took the FJ for its first drive after the fluid change and the shudder is still there. It's just as bad as before the change. My wife's old 2012 pilot had a shudder and it went away instantly after I did a transmission fluid change. Is this normal?
Lots of threads on here about tranny shudder. do some searching

·
Registered
2014 GSJ15L-GKASKA 2LF
227 Posts
Replaced the circuit breaker that came with my winch with a 400A MEGA slow blow fuse. No more exposed positive terminals…

Before:

After:

·
Registered
578 Posts
@Kaiju here you go... bump stop extensions fitted (post anodising). View attachment 1164075 View attachment 1164076

Oh, I see. I couldn't envision where they were installed just by their pics, but they do make sense with a lift. Nice. (y)

I really need to wash the Beast, but my driveway faces east and it's been murderously hot here and in the full sun most of the day. Our water is somewhat hard, so I don't like to wash the truck in the sun and get it covered in nasty water spots because I just can't dry it fast enough. Clouds, I need clouds! I also need to replace all 5 tires as well. $$$$$$$ o_O

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I was getting a clunk/ bump when coming to a stop. Greased the slip yokes and u joints. More better now.
I found a rear swaybar link with some play. I had replaced this two years ago. Obviously not a quality part.
Next I will address a shimmy when braking. This started a while back. It’s getting worse and more often. I checked runout on the rotors before. 0.001” or less. So I will be checking for play in any steering or suspension parts. Checking pads for uneven wear. A sticking piston, maybe. Wheel bearing?
A shake in the steering wheel, no pulsating in the brake pedal.

and I put on the new sticker on my license plate.

·
Registered
2011 Army Green
63 Posts
Changed my bilstein 5100's up to the 4th notch on the front. And installed 2" Icon lift coils and Bilstein 5100's in the rear. Also added a 10mm trim packer on the driver's side coil to eliminate the lean.
Got about an inch and half of rake and rides and drives great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I was getting a clunk/ bump when coming to a stop. Greased the slip yokes and u joints. More better now.
I found a rear swaybar link with some play. I had replaced this two years ago. Obviously not a quality part.
Next I will address a shimmy when braking. This started a while back. It’s getting worse and more often. I checked runout on the rotors before. 0.001” or less. So I will be checking for play in any steering or suspension parts. Checking pads for uneven wear. A sticking piston, maybe. Wheel bearing?
A shake in the steering wheel, no pulsating in the brake pedal.

and I put on the new sticker on my license plate.
I get some pretty bad shaking in the steering when heading down the mountain. I``m wondering if its my tierods. I`ll be replacing them in a couple weeks on vacation. It happens when I hit the brakes but not all the time so i`m thinking its not the rotors :)

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I really think that this is brake related. I feel the “pulsating “ in the vehicle all the way to a stop. Thought it’s not a 1:1. Not one event per rotation. More than that.
But I will keep an open mind.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Changed my bilstein 5100's up to the 4th notch on the front. And installed 2" Icon lift coils and Bilstein 5100's in the rear. Also added a 10mm trim packer on the driver's side coil to eliminate the lean.
Got about an inch and half of rake and rides and drives great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This thing is super clean!

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
240 Posts
Found out I have 2 broken CV boots...

So headed to Toyota to get new ones, they don't have it stock here so should be here on Monday

SmartSelect_20210603-194350_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210603-194340_Gallery.jpg

Had some mud as well...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
After 9 years and ~90k miles, the windshield really needed to be replaced. I have been putting it off due to some of the stories about leaking and finding a company with experience. The dealership recommended a local outfit and after talking with them, they clicked all the right boxes. The upper windshield trim piece was replaced with a brand new one with all the right clips and the cowl pieces used new clips as well.

Wow what a difference new glass makes! Amazing how much pitted the old one was and it makes the whole vehicle feel brand new (also helps that I just washed and waxed ;)).

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I gotta get my '12 TT into the autoglass shop to fix the top windshield panel bc it vibrates at certain wind directions. Any advice you can offer me to tell them so they don't eff it up and make it worse?

@Zed 71

48321 - 48340 of 48360 Posts