Yes talk with the installer before hand to confirm the following:I gotta get my '12 TT into the autoglass shop to fix the top windshield panel bc it vibrates at certain wind directions. Any advice you can offer me to tell them so they don't eff it up and make it worse?
- Experience with FJs. The local Toyota dealership recommended this shop and indicated they use them exclusively for FJs.
- Replace the top windshield molding with a new one and new clips. This is important because all the leak stories indicated the top molding was reused and trying to seal with caulking. I was surprised they were able to order a new radiant red one so fast, they indicated they went through the local Toyota dealership to obtain a new piece.
- Make sure they replace all the clips for the cowl mounts with new ones. Those clips typically break and cannot be reused.
- FYI if not covered by insurance, it could cost up to $1,200 to be done properly. I knew this in advance and upgraded my insurance coverage when the FJ was new.
- If you are only trying to address the top molding from vibrating, try a bead of silicone at the seam between the molding and glass. I did that a long time ago and it held up for years. The wind vibration noise was really bad on the highway, especially with cross winds.