Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
48721 - 48740 of 48746 Posts

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Well got the alternator and battery back in in under an hour. Seems to be working fine. Not a hard job to do. Keep your receipts for all your lifetime stuff...it pays off. I got my new $165 alternator for free :)

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
430 Posts
Started rust treatment... Began with cleaning and brushing, used some rust remover, metal brushes and WD40 to clear much as possible
It goes good but super tiring to be honest, all out of elbow grease 😅 😅
Hope to have some time tomorrow, I'll remove the skids and go some more...
Also I remembered I have my dremel with brush heads, should help make things easier....
I want to see it shiny and clean so I can put some primer, paint and undercoating...

Good luck to me...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a bit of an impromptu repair at the O’Reilly’s parking lot. I stopped in on my way home from work after fueling up to grab a roll of shop towels. Went to start the truck and it turned and turned but wouldn’t start. Weird. It’s always been super easy to crank over. I’m about to give another crank and the woman in the car next to me waves at me and says “your truck is dumping something out from under it!” I take a look and my nose instantly lets me know it’s gas. Uh oh. Track the leak/drip to somewhere off the back of the engine on the drivers side. Borrow a 10mm socket, pull the intake cover off the motor, burn the **** out of my forearms, and I discover the fuel line has popped off the nipple on the fuel rail. Snap it back on, let things dry a bit, and crank it over. Starts right up, and no leaks at the connection. Let it run a good 10 minutes so I can check the connector area for leaks and get a few more forearm burns, and it stays dry as a bone. Lucky me that it happened in town and where I had access to tools and spare parts if they were needed. Makes me wonder how many miles it’s just barely been attached . I’ve only had it a month or so. Glad it didn’t happen out in the boondocks. I’m probably gonna replace both connectors, but I can’t seem to find the actual name or OE part number for them. Could anyone point me in the right direction.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Flash photography Automotive design
Hand Hood Motor vehicle Light Vehicle
Hand Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle chain Bicycle part

·
Registered
FJ Cruiser 2014 Quicksand stock 4x4, convenience, upgrade, tow, RR.
110 Posts
Started rust treatment... Began with cleaning and brushing, used some rust remover, metal brushes and WD40 to clear much as possible
It goes good but super tiring to be honest, all out of elbow grease 😅 😅
Hope to have some time tomorrow, I'll remove the skids and go some more...
Also I remembered I have my dremel with brush heads, should help make things easier....
I want to see it shiny and clean so I can put some primer, paint and undercoating...

Good luck to me...
View attachment 1175109 View attachment 1175110
Looks nice
& clean! Don’t forget the frame at the rear bumperside. it collects lots of dirt and is not easy to clean out after being on a muddy trail.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I posted this yesterday on an old thread I had started, asking about upholstery. Seems like this is a better spot, so I hope I'm not breaking the rules for double-posting. View attachment 1175467
New Katzkin leather upholstery. Lone Star Leather of Fort Worth did an excellent installation.
Not to be nosey but what was the grand total doing that... I really like that.. you do back seats also?.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’m working on an idea of how to attach a longer flexible fiberglass CB antenna. Updates to follow once it’s back from getting a set of front brake calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 FJ
27 Posts
I've been slowly starting to add a few fun things to my 2007 FJ in anticipation of some fall/winter camping trips in Northern California, as long as the endless wildfires don't get in the way.

Today I installed my MR4 from Refined Cycle & Off Road. It got here way way faster than I thought it was going to, which is not a bad thing these days. Installation took me about 15 minutes. I can still get to the compartment below, which is nice. There's nothing in there at the moment.

Top: Small IFAK. I forgot exactly which pouch this is, but it's a discontinued item from 5.11. A new generation CAT tourniquet will not fit in the tourniquet pouch, so I have one on the inside along with a pressure dressing and some quik-clot gauze.
Bottom: My old IFAK, and that pouch is mostly empty for the time being.
Left: 2 medium quick-fist clamps that I don't have anything for yet. I will probably attach a shovel.

Bag Automotive exterior Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Coming soon: Some new interior lights from Diode Dynamics and if all goes well, a new stereo and speakers. Looking at the Alpine iLX-407 but they're out of stock locally so I will have to order one. I also have a MOLLE panel for the inside of the back from victory 4x4 coming soon. They said about a 3 week lead time, but I got a shipping notification today which was a nice surprise. When that arrives and I get it installed, I might move a few of the pouches around and add a fire extinguisher. Might as well, eh?

After a lot of really bad things that have happened this year, little things like this cheer me up and give me something to look forward to. Sometimes, it really is the little things in life.

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not to be nosey but what was the grand total doing that... I really like that.. you do back seats also?.
The total before sales tax was $1,045 including the logos and contrasting stitching. The back seats have the stitching but not the logos. This was at a small shop that does a lot of work for Toyota dealers. I had a quote of $1,695 for exactly the same job from another installer, so shop around. Katzkin no longer shows FJ upholstery on their web site but they still make them. My installer didn't know that until I told him to call Katzkin. My leather color is charcoal and the stitching is Hyper Yellow. It doesn't match Sun Fusion as closely as I'd hoped, but I'm very happy with the overall result. One nice benefit is the "new car leather" smell!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The temperatures finally dropped down to a tolerable level today, so I was able to install my new AllPro sliders. I bought these on a Memorial day sale and they have been sitting in my garage collecting dust. I ordered them bare metal as they wanted an extra $100 to powder coat plus an extra $100 to ship after being powder coated. Since I am just going to beat the sh!t out of these anyway, I opted for $20 worth of rattle can primer and flat black.

I cleaned, primed, then hit them with the flat black. I am no spray paint expert by any means, but I think they turned out well.

Plant Outdoor bench Road surface Asphalt Wood

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Outdoor furniture Public space
Plant Outdoor bench Furniture Table Street furniture

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Yes, my FJ needs to be washed.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ordered front right seatbelt and ratchet assembly. It must be something special because it has to be shipped as a hazardous material classification.

·
Registered
2007 FJ
27 Posts
Thanks to this thread I saved a whole lot of time. Who knew that if you put a new LED bulb in backwards and blow a fuse, that it takes out the clock and the key fob at the same time? :)

One new 10a fuse later, and both of the new Diode Dynamics SMD12 LED kits are installed! One in the main cabin and the other in the rear cargo area. They're WAY brighter than the bulbs that were in there and so far, I'm really happy with them. It's 3:30pm on a late September Tuesday in Sacramento, though, so I'll be sure to check them out later when the sun goes down and the thermometer is below 95.

A small thing, I know, but I'm easy to cheer up these days. And I'm thankful for this forum too. Saved me a lot of troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Ordered front right seatbelt and ratchet assembly. It must be something special because it has to be shipped as a hazardous material classification.

Maybe it's the new seatbelt with airbag built in? :) Totally kidding, of course!

Reactions: Sparky of NWO
48721 - 48740 of 48746 Posts