Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
48861 - 48880 of 48906 Posts

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Changed trans fluid today . Took off lwr line on radiator pumped out two quarts, filled two qrts.. went through 10 qrts before it started coming out red .. went ahead and did two more for good luck..👍🏻
I have to say that at 51,000 miles it looked pretty black.. will probably do a drain and fill about every 25 to 30 now.. that should keep it good🤞
Thats the best way to do it. I did the two qt. at a time method for years. The first time at 50K the fluid was black. The second 50K was better. Now I do just a pan drain every spring and the fluid stays bright red now. I have a 168K + miles now and have never had the shudder :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got underneath and greased the U-joints and slide yokes. It is a bit more trouble on a 6MT FJ to get the front driveshaft facing the right direction. It took more grease than expected. I suspect that the Toyota dealership doesn't grease the drive shafts each time when I bring the FJ in for an oil change.

Reactions: Lee44

·
Registered
2014 GSJ15L-GKASKA 2LF
245 Posts
I got underneath and greased the U-joints and slide yokes. It is a bit more trouble on a 6MT FJ to get the front driveshaft facing the right direction. It took more grease than expected. I suspect that the Toyota dealership doesn't grease the drive shafts each time when I bring the FJ in for an oil change.
I only took my FJ to Toyota dealers for about a year, but I never had any Toyota dealership grease the driveshafts at any of those oil changes. When I asked, I found out that most don’t even know how to do it…

·
トヨタ Master
16,331 Posts
I only took my FJ to Toyota dealers for about a year, but I never had any Toyota dealership grease the driveshafts at any of those oil changes. When I asked, I found out that most don’t even know how to do it…
You mention grease zerks to some of these newer techs....deer in the headlights. Where the hell did you get your training? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 GSJ15L-GKASKA 2LF
245 Posts
You mention grease zerks to some of these newer techs....deer in the headlights. Where the hell did you get your training? :rolleyes:
That’s exactly what one of them said… “What’s a zerk? “

Reactions: CabinCruiser

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
2014 TT & 2012 TT
1,634 Posts
Are you using a spray on type grease? Appreciate the info for a young noob :)

·
Registered
2014 TT & 2012 TT
1,634 Posts
Call it an upgrade or not - installed a TRD Cold Air Intake, Roller Rocker 1GR 4.0L V-6 (PTR03-89100) @ 78089 mileage. Install/mod day with James & Neil. Thanks to these guys.

Stock/OEM air intake:

Untitled by Ramon Flores, on Flickr

The instruction manual that came with the kit is pretty much straight forward, though James & Neil who helped in the install find no need for it at all. We did not even removed the negative battery terminal as per manual.

Bought the kit at PureFJCruiser.com.

TRD air intake installed, when I started and drove no "Christmas' lights came on as what many say when installing this kit.

I haven't driven it that much yet, so I'm not sure what I initially noticed related to throttle, response & acceleration is an improvement or not. The sound is a bit louder though. Overall, initially, I like it.
Looks beautiful! Not sure how you keep your engine bay so clean!

Is the TRD intake worth it? Hope to see your beauty one day. I have been over to james' with my red TT - super cool dood

·
Registered
470 Posts
Are you using a spray on type grease? Appreciate the info for a young noob :)
No, I have a grease gun loaded with lithium base NLGI-#2 grease. Grease is pumped into the grease fittings (aka zerk fittings) shown in the illustrations below:
Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Number

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

Note that this is only for 4wd FJs. 2wd models didn't have grease fittings on the propeller shaft.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Looks beautiful! Not sure how you keep your engine bay so clean!

Is the TRD intake worth it? Hope to see your beauty one day. I have been over to james' with my red TT - super cool dood
Thanks. I just hose it with water and wipe it dry every after off roading.

I can't qualitatively say whether it's worth it or not in terms of cost vis-a-vis improvement in performance compared to OEM.

Yes, hope to meet you one day. Let's watch out for forth coming events (meet & greet, etc) here in SoCal.

48861 - 48880 of 48906 Posts