Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
49861 - 49880 of 49964 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
I bought these Ark Splash Guards a while ago and finally installed them:

View attachment 1220112

I was clearly time to switch to the winter wheels too. Wrapped them in new Blizzaks that are supposed to be pretty grippy too. The test drive was smooth; we'll see how they hold up to rain, ice, and snow ☔☔☔☔☔☔❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

View attachment 1220113
Do the splash guard's come with new fasteners? I ask because I had to replace a few that hold the plastic just above the radiator and it took about a week for the Toyota dealer to get them in. I have a few spares but, given they might be the same size, I definitely don't have that many to do the splash guards.

· Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
1,072 Posts
Do the splash guard's come with new fasteners? I ask because I had to replace a few that hold the plastic just above the radiator and it took about a week for the Toyota dealer to get them in. I have a few spares but, given they might be the same size, I definitely don't have that many to do the splash guards.
The ARK comes with fasteners... Enough to install both sides and some spares for any case

I had them installed before I put the bandi body mount spacers... Now I need to "extend" the upper ones cause it's 0.5" higher and they grab tight, about to snap even...

· Registered
45 Posts
Installed OME 2895 Springs that I've had sitting in the box since January 2022....only took about an hour, way easier than I had thought. The original springs were done and the rear bump stops were constantly hitting. Only static weight changes were a Front Runner roof rack and Alu-Cab 270 awning...but once I thru a cooler in the back and some bags packed for the weekend and hit the road with the 3 of us in it, hitting bump stops was too frequent.

· Registered
1,838 Posts
yeah, they came with fasteners.

Not the same as stock, more like the ones found on the front grill and bumper, but they work well.

I bought a fastener kit off amazon that has a variety of the plastic clips:

· Registered
2010 FJ TT SANDSTORM
46 Posts
Had an old CB from my previous FJ that I wanted to install above my rear view mirror, same place as the old rig. [Side Bar: I know that many feel that CB is "dead". Yup. I still have fun with it and it has come in very handy when stuck in traffic. Truckers ahead of you or coming in the opposite direction are always entertaining and of great assistance. And yes, the Bandit still out runnin' Smokey.]

I do plan on getting a HAM radio in the near future as well.

Anyway, I needed a piece of wood above the headliner to screw the CB's bracket into. So I pulled the headliner and blah blah blah.... let the pics speak of the fun.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Mode of transport Car
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Plant
Shade Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

I have everything prettymuch put back together now. A few minor things left and I will post pics of final results when done.

· Registered
19 Posts
Wood Metal Fashion accessory Jewellery Leather

Automotive tire Rim Gas Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Engineering Machine Automotive wheel system Gas

I finally made some progress on rebuilding my engine. Needed a new shortblock after finding a broken ringland on the number 6 piston. All pistons had frozen oil control rings and all cylinders were out of round. BTW, I changed my oil at 5000 mile intervals with synthetic oil and wix filters. 105k miles on the engine but Whippled for the last 20k. The new bullet will get more frequent oil changes for sure. Screw the 12point stock head bolts also. I had 2 strip out and I had to drill them out or weld nuts to them to get the heads off.

· Premium Member
5,080 Posts
View attachment 1220319
View attachment 1220318
View attachment 1220320

I finally made some progress on rebuilding my engine. Needed a new shortblock after finding a broken ringland on the number 6 piston. All pistons had frozen oil control rings and all cylinders were out of round. BTW, I changed my oil at 5000 mile intervals with synthetic oil and wix filters. 105k miles on the engine but Whippled for the last 20k. The new bullet will get more frequent oil changes for sure. Screw the 12point stock head bolts also. I had 2 strip out and I had to drill them out or weld nuts to them to get the heads off.
What does "wippled" mean? Is it something that can take an engine with 5k oil change intervals break up its pistons in only 20k miles?

· Registered
3,791 Posts
Was dreading taking off the headers and o2 sensors. It's cramped. The o2 sensors are usually at their connectors. But finally in. I started dropping the manifold nuts so called it a night and finish tomorrow. Mated to AFE y pipe and 3" flowmaster

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Hood Auto part

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design

Tire Wood Wheel Sculpture Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

· Premium Member
5,080 Posts
Was dreading taking off the headers and o2 sensors. It's cramped. The o2 sensors are usually at their connectors. But finally in. I started dropping the manifold nuts so called it a night and finish tomorrow. Mated to AFE y pipe and 3" flowmaster

View attachment 1220451
View attachment 1220453
View attachment 1220454
View attachment 1220452
Just curious, those pipes look the same size & shape as the originals, and the originals don't look rusted out. Is there an internal difference that prompted you to replace the original plumbing?

· Registered
3,791 Posts
Just curious,
Mainly preventative maintenance. The stock y has long been known to be restrictive. It's at 200k and didn't want to test when the current cats will fail. There's no crush in the piping for clearance. Besides being stainless, the system is non carb compliant and lost some weight..

· Registered
19 Posts
Had to be running lean?
I ran it WOT for about 3 minutes down a long desolate stretch of Texas highway one night to see how far I could push it and I pushed it to the breaking point, lol. It think it just got too hot with the stock ring gap. I gapped the the new rings a few thousandths more than stock.

49861 - 49880 of 49964 Posts