Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi all,

I'm starting from scratch as far as prepping Hank, my FJ, to live in most nights for a 9 week road trip with my Great Dane. I am a camper/backpacker so I have the basic items (stoves, pots, utensils, etc.) but am looking for a list of things I need to buy/install that are musts (water, propane, batteries, heat/fans, etc.)

I'll take one off ideas or a full list. I'm going next August (paid work sabbatical) so I'm looking to get started to spread out the expenses.

Any help would be appreciated as it's just me and well, single girl problems!
About 945 gallons of gas and a map like this :
https://matadornetwork.com/read/mapped-optimal-road-trip-see-us-national-parks/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You guys think I'm really dumb...I travel. I've been to about 20 NP. I've rappelled into a glacier. Ive backpacked Havasu. I have my route planned, skipping the parks I've visited to shorten the trip. I have a NP pass. I have cash and credit cards.

What I needed to know was how others set up, what I need that might not be intuitive. Propane/water set up, etc.

But damn, sorry I asked!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Check the cargo area platform thread and the camping section. Someone recently made a list. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/threads/camping-load-list.736248/

Thank you for a legit answer!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nobody thinks you're dumb, we just don't know exactly what you're intending nor you're exact level of outdoors competence. People are just offering suggestions based on their experiences.

-If you've got all your basic camping needs from your backpacking adventures, I'd suggest trying to decide on your sleeping platform in the truck. Pack light so you don't have to move stuff around a ton in order to sleep inside but the hump in the middle of the floor is your biggest hurdle.

-I don't really see a need for propane (other than your cooking needs) inside the truck. Using it for heat could be problematic without sufficient ventilation.

-Water storage would probably be best attached to the roof rack or spare tire. Maybe something smaller inside in case of freezing temps. Lots of options for that as well if you search some of the threads. I have a Springtail side rack for the back that I'm getting ready to quickfist some 40 oz Hydroflasks to.

-I can't remember where I saw them but get a set of black-out/sunshades for all the windows in the truck. You could easily make them out of some foam as well.

-Now would also be a good time to make sure the truck has all required maintenance up to schedule and is road-trip worthy.

Have a blast! I'm trying to do something similar once I have my little offroad trailer set-up complete.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can only assume that you are planning to unload the FJ in the evening and reload in the morning in order to sleep in it. There isn't a lot of room back there, especially with a Great Dane (wonderful dogs by the way). Loading and unloading the truck is going to get old, really, really quick.

I think a good ground tent is in order.

No need to carry an excess amount of water being all National Parks have good water in the campgrounds and stores are readily available.

As always, your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 2 cents... I love traveling with my ARB fridge. I like it much better than a cooler! Make sure your battery can support the load (at least overnight). And get a jump box in case you find your battery dead (doubles as a USB charger)

Get a decent Garmin and load the OSM topos, Next, download the POI file for the national parks. It makes finding the entrances easier. Also download the POI file for Rest Areas with bathrooms and the POI file for your favorite truckstops (showers).
Don't forget a french press for good coffee and don't forget a foldable table and chair.

I think it was mentioned, but I never go anywhere without an extra 4 gallons of gas.
And finally, some basic emergency gear in case you break down.. jumper cables, flares, candles, first aid, etc.
I agree with the post about getting a ground tent. Unloading and reloading the truck every day is more work than a tent. Consider sleeping in the truck if it is raining.

If you ever go in the winter, these apply:
It gets dark really early in the winter. Make sure you have your entertainment and a way to keep it charged. Also, will you need a heater?
Get some chains if you plan to go into the mountains in the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remember, dogs are not allowed off the pavement in National Parks/Monuments. You'll need a list of doggie day care by all of the parks you intend to visit. In prime season, you'll have to reserve a spot for your Dane well in advance.
We were surprised a few years ago when we arrived at the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands and were denied entry due to having dogs. We briefly considered kennelling in Moab but learned there was some dog virus going around- nope- not gonna risk it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts