Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted up the off road vehicle inspection check list I use before hitting the trail. I've been building this punch list over a number of years but pretty sure others here could add to it making it better.

What have I forgotten? What do you check on your FJC before wheeling... Especially if you are on a long 4x4 adventure where you may not see anyone for a couple hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Your list is pretty complete already; I usually don't even do that much, but I tend to keep my trucks well-maintained regularly anyway. I'll usually just check the u-joints and give them an extra shot of grease if I know I'll be doing some water crossings, and check all the fasteners on the suspension components.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
After Being a mechanic for the Military off and on over the last 20 years I pretty much Check Everything before any trip... I am OCD when it comes to maintenance.:lol:
x2 :rocker:

I've been working on vehicles for 35+ years, and doing a thorough walk-around (and under, and on top :lol:) before hitting the trails could save a lot of headaches later. While you can never prevent all problems, many situations come up on the trail that were obvious had you taken the time to check before going out. And I also log all maintenance and mods I do, so that I can quickly scan through and see what things are do for attention, and what areas have been issues in the past. (I guess I've got a little OCD in there too :cheers:)

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
do you remove the inner fnder linings once a year to wash the crud out from in the fenders??? Ok I have serious OCD..
But I bet My attention to detail has saved my but thousands in trail repairs.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@1911 thx...

@blue goose never too late to start :)

@mad_mechanix sometimes.... OCD is a good thing :)

@cruiserlarry dang... A log! it is the simple things that are the best. That is something I'm going to start keeping on the rig (tighter than on my website). Thx for the idea.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Pretty good list. I use an overall check list, the mechanicals of the rig are always maintained so it's not a big deal. I just do a basic check, mostly suspension connections etc.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@NCFJ thanks.

@sephcm ha ha ha :) I left off beer and cigarettes too since they go on the what to bring list :)

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
We always have the "fj essential" tools we need like a 19mm socket, and all the other fj size specific tools. You only need a few to tear into stuff. We also carry a roll up mat for working under the car. No, we don 't break down the much, but we're always prepared if we do, and we've always got what we need to help others. :rocker:

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I'm always checking things out...way beyond any service intervals, so I'm pretty much ready to go.

Most things forgotten but very important to bring along are; food and water, clothing and soap, hand cleaner and never want to forget....TP to wipe your A$$ :lol: Mother Nature seems to always call when your wheeling :bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts