Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since getting my FJ, I've added a GPS and Radar detector to the windshield, but I've got these ugly cords now hanging down across the stereo and just looking like garbage.

Has anybody come up with a creative way to hide these cords so they don't look so bad? Or maybe just keep them out of the way?

Thanks in advance!

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have clarified that my wires are going to the 12V Cig lighter adapter down below the radio. Is there a convenient way to wire this stuff up direct and hide it behind the dash? I had no idea.... Do you have to take the dash out? That could be like 8 hours of work from what I've seen on other vehicles! haha

- Hakrjak

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Is there a convenient way to wire this stuff up direct and hide it behind the dash? I had no idea.... Do you have to take the dash out? That could be like 8 hours of work from what I've seen on other vehicles! haha

- Hakrjak
No, it's easy - pop-off the far-left silver plastic piece that includes the left-most A/C vent, and pop-off the cover over the speaker on top of the dash above it. You will have all kinds of room to to run wires in there. Run the wires from the GPS back to windshield, poke the wires down in between the windshield and the rubber gasket in front of the dash, and from there through the space around the speaker and then down behind the silver plastic A/C register piece to under the dash. Then you are right next to the main fuse box if you want to power it from there instead of using an auxiliary fuse block.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that is seriously cool. Thanks for the picture! I'll look into doing this. I guess if I want to power it direct from the fuse box I can just cut off the cig lighter connector and solder on some kind of adapter to plug direct into the fuse box?

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I guess if I want to power it direct from the fuse box I can just cut off the cig lighter connector and solder on some kind of adapter to plug direct into the fuse box?
No need to do that; just use a "tap-a-circuit" or similar to tap into a slot in the main fuse box under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
there is also a small hole on the under side of the silver accent pieces to the right and left of the radio. I have run my usb cord and aux cord thru these holes before. def cleans things up. I ran things from dash thru "cubby" hole and speaker hole

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeh I was thinking about going through the glove box over the steering wheel, that looks like it comes out pretty easy. I can't figure out how to get that silver plastic thing off that includes the left vent, etc -- and don't want to risk breaking it. Is there a trick?

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
143 Posts
no trick for vent just grab from below and pull out and upthen shimmy top one out. the "glove" box has 2 screws and is a little bit more tricky with the shimmying. ive had both off a handful of times doing various audio work. good luck with everything

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow, that's good to know. I didn't know that panel came off that easy. Thanks for the pic.

No, it's easy - pop-off the far-left silver plastic piece that includes the left-most A/C vent, and pop-off the cover over the speaker on top of the dash above it. You will have all kinds of room to to run wires in there. Run the wires from the GPS back to windshield, poke the wires down in between the windshield and the rubber gasket in front of the dash, and from there through the space around the speaker and then down behind the silver plastic A/C register piece to under the dash. Then you are right next to the main fuse box if you want to power it from there instead of using an auxiliary fuse block.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When popping the speaker cover off, do you need to stick a screwdriver in and pop it from the top, or should you get your hand under it and push up from below?

Thnx!

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
When popping the speaker cover off, do you need to stick a screwdriver in and pop it from the top, or should you get your hand under it and push up from below?

Thnx!
Grab the top and the bottom with your hands, and pull upward at about a 45-degree angle. It will pop off, you might have to pull pretty hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts