Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back after being away for a looong time! Way too busy with work and family till now. I am the original owner of a 13 TT and have an extended Toyota warranty to 100k. What do you guys recommend at 74k to be on the safe side? My thoughts were:

New Bilsteins front and rear
New Radiator hoses
New body bushings

I did brakes all around, oil and Air filters both engine and cabin 5k ago.

Thanks for any and all input!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
What Hannibal said. All fluids a must. The mantainance schedule outlined in the owners manual is a reliable resource. Unless its wheeled hard. Around 75K and 6 years is a great time for a complete maintenance update. Brakes, battery, belts, air filter, cabin air filter.
Good luck :)

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,915 Posts
Welcome back! I would definitely agree with @Hannibal on changing ALL the fluids - literally anything fluid, including brake, coolant, transmission. And lube every zerk, 6 on the driveshaft. By around 100k your FJ may be “asking” you for an alternator, pulleys, serpentine. Not sure what you mean by body bushings? Body mounts will be fine. OE bushings on all the control arms and links are excellent and will last a long time. Rust is a huge concern that I treat aggressively - say no to car cancer! And finally, stick to a regular oil change routine for engine longevity...I change mine every 3k mi 😊

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am back after being away for a looong time! Way too busy with work and family till now. I am the original owner of a 13 TT and have an extended Toyota warranty to 100k. What do you guys recommend at 74k to be on the safe side? My thoughts were:

New Bilsteins front and rear
New Radiator hoses
New body bushings

I did brakes all around, oil and Air filters both engine and cabin 5k ago.

Thanks for any and all input!
Not sure if you think your 100k warranty will cover stuff - or is it a service/maintenance contract? Warranties don't typically cover maintenance.

I too have a 13 TT - only 25k miles here. Serpentine belt is high on my maintenance list (time not miles).
Are your Bilsteins done? 74k seems kind of early for them. Bushings too.
Hoses? How do they look? 74k/6 yrs should still be OK unless they were in a "bad" environment.
Check for and address rust.
Battery original? Getting close to time for this too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 186k miles on same Oem belt. Same alternator too. I’ve only changed brakes, calipers, wheel bearings twice & all fluids. My underbody frame is mint due to yearly inspections and undercoating

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome back! I would definitely agree with @Hannibal on changing ALL the fluids - literally anything fluid, including brake, coolant, transmission. And lube every zerk, 6 on the driveshaft. By around 100k your FJ may be “asking” you for an alternator, pulleys, serpentine. Not sure what you mean by body bushings? Body mounts will be fine. OE bushings on all the control arms and links are excellent and will last a long time. Rust is a huge concern that I treat aggressively - say no to car cancer! And finally, stick to a regular oil change routine for engine longevity...I change mine every 3k mi 😊
Big car newb here, when you say “all fluids” could you list which ones you mean? I want to learn how to do all these things myself but (this might sound stupid) I don’t know what fluids exist that need changing! haha

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,915 Posts
Big car newb here, when you say “all fluids” could you list which ones you mean? I want to learn how to do all these things myself but (this might sound stupid) I don’t know what fluids exist that need changing! haha
Engine oil, gear oil in transfer case, front & rear diff, transmission fluid (best done at dealership with their special machine IMO), brake fluid, power steering fluid. If you swap all of these as a new owner you will have done a reset 👍 Then easy enough going forward to stick to regular maintenance schedules for each.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have an owners manual?
I don’t yet actually haha, it’s sitting with my FJ in Nagoya waiting to get transported to me.
Thanks for the link! Loads of great videos there I’ll be sure to use.

Engine oil, gear oil in transfer case, front & rear diff, transmission fluid (best done at dealership with their special machine IMO), brake fluid, power steering fluid. If you swap all of these as a new owner you will have done a reset 👍 Then easy enough going forward to stick to regular maintenance schedules for each.
Thanks very much @debFJVT !! Now I just need to find a space to rent to be able to work on it, garages are a premium here haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts