Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

261 - 280 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Originally the j stood for jeep, because the us army employed toyota to make a jeep for them after jeep went too high. Toyota manufactured them and eventually got sued for calling them "toyota jeeps" so they switched it to a letter and then j. The first letter "f" stands for the engine that is in it. So "fj" literally means "6 cylinder gas jeep"! #NowYouKnow

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
us army employed toyota to make a jeep for them after jeep went too high.

The US military has never, will never be concerned about equipment expenses.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
This was during WWII right after the depression so the economy was still in recovery

·
Registered
10 Posts
This comes from Toyota:

"The FJ Cruiser derives its name from the 1950's Toyota Land Cruiser, which arrived in the United States in 1958.
The "F" is a reference to that early 50's engine series type and the "J" refers to the body style of the 1950's 4 Wheel Drive Land Cruiser vehicle.
To preserve the lineage and heritage of that vehicle, Toyota combined the two elements: hence today's FJ Cruiser."

I guess that rules out the J for Japan theory, which didn't make a lot of sense anyway since to the Japanese Japan is Nihon.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
This was during WWII right after the depression so the economy was still in recovery

The beginning of WWII marked the end Great Depression.

The F engine lineage is still in production today, in the 1FZ-FE and I can't think of any Land Cruiser that doesn't have a J as the chassis type.

FJ Cruiser sold vehicles and it sounds better than GRJ-120.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just bought ours last week and I was asking my husband what it meant. He had no idea which is highly unusual. So when I tell him it was first called a Bj he's going to flip ??? and I'll prob never get to call it an fj any longer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't remember where I saw this before, but I believe "FJ" originally stood for Field Jeep.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,104 Posts
Future Junk

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
We just bought ours last week and I was asking my husband what it meant. He had no idea which is highly unusual. So when I tell him it was first called a Bj he's going to flip ������ and I'll prob never get to call it an fj any longer.
I love it!
But the BJ was the nomenclature for the diesel version of the early 40's!
FJ is a gas powered truck, a BJ would be a diesel powered truck
gm

·
トヨタ Master
7,628 Posts
Peterson's 4Wheel & Off Road, a handful of years back published that when Toyota originally brought these over, they had to have a designation before they VINed them. "Foreign Jeep" was the nomenclature given by the USDOT. I did just go through the Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser Owner's Bible by Moses Ludel version B published in 1995 and could not confirm this information. I think the "F" representing the engine family is more likely, but do not know where Peterson's sourced their information. Just some info.

261 - 280 of 311 Posts