Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I'm just curious to know if and how high humidity impacts performance. Anyone know? It has been hot and sticky lately. Just got me wondering.
Hi again.

Druggy performance. The air taken in combined is hot and humid, rather than the optimal cool and dry, and in most cases just causes the vehicle to feel a little less responsive. Kind of druggy.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I thought it felt a little sluggish today. Can it impact engine life span if you are constantly operating under hot, humid conditions?
Quantitatively, yes. No dealer will ever tell you that, but the answer is yes.

With time and just the slightly increased "load" on your motor trying to get you around, it'll have a slightly decreased life span. On the other hand, you can mitigate this to the maximum extent with excellent vehicle care, from good quality fuel, to regular oil changes, to regular maintenance, to good air flow, etc.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i think it may cause long term more wear on engine as it is working harder to produce same performance......but how much I dont know if it is something worth thinking about when sitting in traffic and high heat with ac on is much more of a strain on cooling system and engine in my opinion.....then throw in some dusty roads, restricted air filters, pedal to the metal hill climbs or escapes from mud pit...and the difference goes away as all the other things I bet are worse.

Wow some people have a good job and more time to just THINK ABOUT THINGS IN LIFE than I do....cant say in 30 years of driving offroad vehicles and sports cars I have ever wondered if humdity and heat in south was bad for my vehicle...though I would embrace winter for better performance and gas mileage...but then I would mash the go-pedal more and offset any savings. LOL

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I do tend to think and wonder about things a lot. To me that it what makes life worth living.... learning new things.

This popped into mind because here on Lake Erie, it has been disgustingly hot and humid the last few days. I'm pouring sweat as I write this and I'm in my house with the AC at 66! I Just hate the heat. Well, not so much the heat as the humidity. I didn't mind the heat out west in NM and AZ. It is all about the humidity. It makes me feel so crappy I just wondered if it did the same thing to my FJ.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Toldeo FJ

I live down here in New Orleans and I can assure that the heat and humidity affect the performance of any engine. I am also a drag racer and unitil recently was racing a stock 2002 Z28, except for a 3.73 gear and loose torque convertor, in the street class. It turned a best 12.87 106 MPH when the weather was ideal in late November and turned 13.25 103.5 MPH in August. I also have an FJ Cruiser that I drive to work every day across the Mississippi River Bridge. In the morning, in the summer time, it acsends the bridge with little or no effort but in the afternoon at 4:00 PM going home, it feels like somebody threw out an anchor. When people sell drag race cars down in this area they always list two E.T's that the car will run because of the differences in the performance between Summer and Winter. In summary, it is not your imagination. You want real heat and humidity come on down for a visit, "Yea we got heat and humidity for you right here".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts