Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

Thanks for the info !!!!!

I might have some traveling companions that are not interested in the trails, but are willing to go with me and have some fun :)

Perfect info for my situation !!!!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Re: Uninterested & Less-Excited Spouses - Please Check In Here [RE: Ouray & FJ Summit

There are a lot of things to do in the area besides going on the trails. I've spent some time heading out on the highways out of town down towards Durango, out of Teluride past Ophir and Trout Lake and on both the highways toward Moab and Grand Junction. Lots of photo opportunities with older buildings, flowers, scenic views, etc.

Do some reading about the area and you'll find that there is a lot of history from mining to movies. There's a website all about the locations of the filming of the original True Grit.

Lots of little shops with everything from clothing to candy. Mouse's in Ouray is an awesome little shop with handmade truffles, different desserts, and they roast their own coffee out in the front of the shop in a big antique coffee roaster. Silverton and Teluride are nearby with even more shops. There are also some spas if the need to be pampered is there.

Drive down to Silverton and check out the narrow gauge train and the miner's memorial statue on the hillside.

Check out the architecture on the buildings around town.

Pack up a lunch and go have a picnic in the forest or one of the parks around town.

Go swim or hang around the Hot Springs.

Grab a beverage and kick back and just enjoy the beauty of the area and maybe toss in meeting a few new friends.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

You know Moose needs some Mouse !!!! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts

Ouray Colorado - Visitor Guide

You can view it online or order it if you need some reading for "the office". :rofl:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the info !!!!!

I might have some traveling companions that are not interested in the trails, but are willing to go with me and have some fun :)

Perfect info for my situation !!!!
You're welcome. :cheers:

There are a lot of things to do in the area besides going on the trails. I've spent some time heading out on the highways out of town down towards Durango, out of Teluride past Ophir and Trout Lake and on both the highways toward Moab and Grand Junction. Lots of photo opportunities with older buildings, flowers, scenic views, etc.

Do some reading about the area and you'll find that there is a lot of history from mining to movies. There's a website all about the locations of the filming of the original True Grit.

Lots of little shops with everything from clothing to candy. Mouse's in Ouray is an awesome little shop with handmade truffles, different desserts, and they roast their own coffee out in the front of the shop in a big antique coffee roaster. Silverton and Teluride are nearby with even more shops. There are also some spas if the need to be pampered is there.

Drive down to Silverton and check out the narrow gauge train and the miner's memorial statue on the hillside.

Check out the architecture on the buildings around town.

Pack up a lunch and go have a picnic in the forest or one of the parks around town.

Go swim or hang around the Hot Springs.

Grab a beverage and kick back and just enjoy the beauty of the area and maybe toss in meeting a few new friends.
Yep. That was my whole reason for creating this thread.
Not sure if you noticed my second post or not, but that's where I stashed my own list. Since this was originally meant to be a conversation, and not just an info thread, I put the info in the second post. However, now that I think about it, I think it would make more sense to just move my list to the OP. So, I will do that this evening...

Ouray Colorado - Visitor Guide

You can view it online or order it if you need some reading for "the office". :rofl:
Thanks, James. Ya, I always get one of these every year. I will add this to the list. :cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
What about kids? I have a 7 and a 2 year old. Thrill on the hill had some activities for kids at the camp. Mine didn't come with me but if I go to summit they probably will. Anyone else bring little ones?

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What about kids? I have a 7 and a 2 year old. Thrill on the hill had some activities for kids at the camp. Mine didn't come with me but if I go to summit they probably will. Anyone else bring little ones?
Great question!
Yes. There are definitely things for kids; both at the Summit and elsewhere in Ouray and the surrounding area.

At the Summit, there are usually some types of activities geared especially for them, including a 'kids raffle' so they don't feel totally left out when they see us winning all kinds of goodies for our rigs. I'm sure there are other things for kids too, and hopefully others will chime in.

In town, there's a great playground in the park just outside of the hot springs pool, and a water slide at the pool.

You can go watch the glass blower at work.

Geez, I know that's not much, but I know there must be more things for kids.
At worst, it's one of the most beautiful places in the world, and I don't think there's any age restrictions on appreciating the kind of beauty that they will get introduced to on some of the trail runs.

Also, just getting to meet and hang out with some of the other kids that will be there is always a good thing too...

·
Registered
301 Posts
My 4 year old daughter had a great time. There were plenty of other children there to play with while not on the trails. Some of the vendors had giveaways for them, coloring book competitions, gave them ice cream, and just generally made them welcome at the event.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
422 Posts
Smoke pot..... It's legal, I'm just saying.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
My 4 year old daughter had a great time. There were plenty of other children there to play with while not on the trails. Some of the vendors had giveaways for them, coloring book competitions, gave them ice cream, and just generally made them welcome at the event.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's why OCR14a hung around the vendors area so much.....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm bringing my wife, and my 11 and 9 year old kids. I'm sure there will be other kids there for them to play with based on everything I've read.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts