Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing belt seems to have slipped, and the valves went, and it seems the cheapest course or action would be to replace the engine.
Its not easy to find one of these engines with low mileage, can someone tell me if there are later year engines that would fit a 2010 with little modification? Does someone know the correct replacement engine part number for a 2010?
Any other suggestions?
We have the heads off the engine, and the top of the pistons dont look too bad, but there is a plastic liner built into the engine, and it seems to be burnt along the edges. We had been hoping to just rebuild heads.

·
Registered
355 Posts
@johney5 ,
For compatibility you will need an engine from a 2010-2012 FJ. In 2013-2014 they had different ECU's and dual EGR valves added for smog requirements. (blocks were the same) Later year motor's (07-09) will not be compatible as they were single VVTI and not Dual VVTI like your 2010. All FJ 4.0 liter engines had timing chains, not belts. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Since your engine doesn’t have a timing belt, it’s unlikely that your problem is due to a slipped timing belt. The timing CHAIN may have jumped a tooth, but that’s pretty rare in the absence of other timing-chain related faults, like broken chain guides or a failed chain tensioner.

If the bottom end is in good shape (no sludge or worn piston rings), and the pistons only show minor contact marks from kissing the valves, I’d just rebuild the heads, replace all the components in the timing chain system, and move on.

The plastic “spacer” in the water jacket just limits water flow to the top of the cylinders, and discoloration doesn’t mean anything as long as it’s not disintegrating and shedding chunks into the cooling system.

Some background information would be useful:
1. How many miles on the odometer?
2 Is this a manual or automatic transmission?
3. When the engine went “bang”, was it operating near redline?
4. How many of the valves are obviously bent?
5. Could you post some photos of the piston crowns, clearly showing the valve contact marks, and some photos of the bent valves?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts