Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm a huge FJ fan and have wanted one since '06, but have been trying to pay off my '01 Altima and get back into the SUV realm. I'll own the Altima in December and thats when I want to trade in for an FJ. I can't wait!

A brand new FJ is probably out of reach for me, I'm looking to spend 22,000 to 24,000. I'd love a TRD, but is that excessive? Should I buy a base level '07 and just mod it to get it to where I want it?

I'm planning on using it here in the northeast for camping, surfing, beach driving, and hopefully some offroading in Maine, NH.

Any advice?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
hmmmm.....good question to which you will get a bunch of different answers .....But I will go out on a limb here and say that most will probably tell you to get a model that includes the locker and ATrac and then have enough money to mod it up your way. ...with wheels, tires, lift and engine mods.

Sounds like you will need a good roof rack too so you might want to avoid the OEM rack and go with an aftermarket rack that is designed more for utility than looks. My stock rack is nice but I have seen some awesome aftermarket stuff that will take a whack more weight and volume.

Good luck......December is comin' quick.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice NBFJ.

If I got one with the atrac and locker, wouldn't it most likely come with the OEM rack? I'd like to buy an FJ with all the bells and whistles, but it sounds like modding it is half the fun.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ill second that!! you will deff be happier, and do much better off financially, with moding your fj..rack, wheels, tires, radio, speakers....its all good..but, over prised from toyota..take nbfj's words as wisdom.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
X3, I say for your needs you might be better off with a base and mod it to your needs.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm going to give you advise more from a financial perspective. Trading in a vehicle should always be your last option, sell the thing yourself, you don't even have to wait until it's paid off. Buying from a dealer should always be your last option. Purchase an FJ thats still under warranty from a private party who is desperate to get rid of it, there are many for sale right now. SUV's have taken a huge depreciation hit lately with the price of gas. You can save yourself thousands by avoiding dealers, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damnit Jelopy you're right. It's just so damn convenient to just dump your old car off at a dealer and pick up a new one and the same time. You're right though, I could potentially save thousands because the kbb prices are both lower for when you're selling and buying through a private party.

So, what is the best site to look for private party deals? Craigslist? Autotrader?

·
Registered
769 Posts
If it's Sun Fusion, it's good by me! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
hmmmm.....good question to which you will get a bunch of different answers .....But I will go out on a limb here and say that most will probably tell you to get a model that includes the locker and ATrac and then have enough money to mod it up your way. ...with wheels, tires, lift and engine mods.

Sounds like you will need a good roof rack too so you might want to avoid the OEM rack and go with an aftermarket rack that is designed more for utility than looks. My stock rack is nice but I have seen some awesome aftermarket stuff that will take a whack more weight and volume.

Good luck......December is comin' quick.
good suggestion.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got back from a test drive at a Jeep dealership for an '07 FJ, black 4x4, ATrac, rear locker, with 9,700 miles for $22,000. I figured I could probably get them down to 20,000. Two grand seems to be the average discount on every car, especially suv's right now. It is the cheapest FJ with the best mileage within 250 miles of me.

The test drive was great, btw. I love the feel of the FJ and the turning radius is actually better than my Altima. Too bad I wasn't able to do any off-roading though, I don't think they'd be too happy if I brought it back totally muddy, would be funny though.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? It'll be gone by the time I'm ready to buy though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
For $24,000 you could get a new base model 4X4 (if you can find one) Then add on as you wish, I bought mine 5 weeks ago, about 2 days before i found this forum, if id found the forum first i would have bought the one with the least options i could find and added from there.

col

1 - 11 of 11 Posts