Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 with 121k miles that has basically only had oil changes its whole life. What fluids exactly and or mantenance would you recommend doing? I already had the following in mind...please add or subtract your thoughts:

1. Engine air filter
  2. Cabin Air filter
  3. Spark plugs
  4. Front differential fluid
  5. Rear differential fluid
  6. Transmission fluid
  7. Coolant fluid
  8. Break fluid
Am I missing anything? Can you tell me where I can buy the toyota OEM fluids? Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Looks like good list already for a baseline. You forgot the power steering fluid. You can buy the fluids at Toyota dealer if you want. Don't forget to grease the zerks and check the serpentine belts and the status of the battery

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think you have it all covered but add greasing the joints on your drive shafts. There will be many people recommending different brands of fluids but there is nothing wrong with using Toyota products which you can purchase at any dealership. Don't forget to check the pressure in your spare tire.

Important: Do some research on changing your transmission fluid. It is not as simple as draining then refilling. You'll find youtube videos on the subject.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you have it all covered but add greasing the joints on your drive shafts. There will be many people recommending different brands of fluids but there is nothing wrong with using Toyota products which you can purchase at any dealership. Don't forget to check the pressure in your spare tire.

Important: Do some research on changing your transmission fluid. It is not as simple as draining then refilling. You'll find youtube videos on the subject.
My fj has 121k miles. Is it lifetime transmission fluid or do people actually change? I want to keep this vehicle to 300k+ miles if possible.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Don't forget power steering fluid and transfer case fluid ( if its 4WD ) Your list looks good just add these.

I change all the trans fluid every 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My fj has 121k miles. Is it lifetime transmission fluid or do people actually change? I want to keep this vehicle to 300k+ miles if possible.
It is not lifetime. I use this and change every 30K due to pulling trailer and lots of high grades around here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't forget your antifreeze and brake fluid. Toyota long life coolant is good for 100,000 miles. Change out the thermostat since you have it drained. Brake fluid should be replaced every few years. Replace Serpentine belt and pulleys around 100,000 miles. Gates makes a good belt.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Carefully clean the MAF sensor in the engine's intake tract with MAF sensor spray, and replace both air/fuel sensors if they have not already been changed (~$120 each).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 07 with 121k miles that has basically only had oil changes its whole life. What fluids exactly and or mantenance would you recommend doing? I already had the following in mind...please add or subtract your thoughts:

1. Engine air filter
  2. Cabin Air filter
  3. Spark plugs
  4. Front differential fluid
  5. Rear differential fluid
  6. Transmission fluid
  7. Coolant fluid
  8. Break fluid
Am I missing anything? Can you tell me where I can buy the toyota OEM fluids? Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad I am not the only one that thought of the blinker fluid. I think I'll change over to mechanical blinkers as well. Always a fan of less maintenance. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts