Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a little research and trying to find out what people find as the most frustrating or difficult thing about off road adventures?

Is it logistics, gas prices, time, others to go with... What is it that is you least favorite part of the adventure or road trip?

Thank you for you feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good question.....let me think....I can´t find anything frustranting in off roading...washing the truck at the end of the day maybe?

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,976 Posts
having the person behind me following to what i believe is way to close, and having a CB(either mine or another others) that only function when within 1/2 a car length.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The fact that Texas has no public land frustrates me. I've wheeled for free on public land in California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. In those states, there are thousands, if not millions, of acres on which to wheel. In Texas, I have to pay a land owner to wheel on their ranch (off road park). And there are only a few off road parks in all of the 268,820 square miles of TX.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the biggest frustration for me is the lack of available time for longer trips. I'm a bit envious of LGRT and the countless others who have been able to travel the country in their FJ. I'd love to be able to hit up the Summit or Moab but I can't spare the amount of time it takes to travel that far. I guess I shouldn't complain too much though since we do have Rausch Creek ORP in PA with almost 3000 acres of off-roading trails and rock crawling obstacles. And there's always retirement, right?

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
My job frustrates me when it comes to off roading trips. I am a golf course superintendent, and my busy season is May 1 thru Oct 1. So I cant take any summer time weekends off. Because of this I can never make the Summit, which I REALLY want to attend. I have a couple of friends dying to make the trip with me...but keeping my job is more important:(

·
Registered
318 Posts
having the person behind me following to what i believe is way to close, and having a CB(either mine or another others) that only function when within 1/2 a car length.
Same thing. The person behind you thinks they have to be hooked to your tow hitch.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Making time for long trips
Gas prices
Security of home and shop when away on trips
Lack of public land like out west

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
When out west, distance became such a double edged sword. I loved the remoteness but became painfully aware of the driving range of one tank of gas. Between mpg and the actual size of the gas tank; gas station locations were a critical element of planning. I have lived in the east way too long and have become spoiled; out west required planning and sometimes self imposed limitations. Gas prices are one thing but availablilty is critical in the back country.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
That depends. Mainly I guess Getting the time off when You have it planned or want to link up and join some one else..
As for planning it that would be those involved all wanting to make all the decisions or Come up with the Idea and expect you to do all the work...:flame:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
The fear of a long-term brain injury from constantly hitting my head on the grab handle.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
End of the day/trip. Just a bummer knowing that you have to return to being resposible again before going out to play some more!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I think accidentally hitting the horn when wheelin :rofl:

or a person following to closely, or the person in front of you not keeping you in their rear view mirror. Number one rule I have as trail leader, is keeping everyone behind them in their rear view mirror, it helps people from getting lost.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW, Great feedback! Thank you. Are there other issues that detract form your enjoyment on an adventure.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I think accidentally hitting the horn when wheelin :rofl:

or a person following to closely, or the person in front of you not keeping you in their rear view mirror. Number one rule I have as trail leader, is keeping everyone behind them in their rear view mirror, it helps people from getting lost.
^^^I agree with all the above. I even had to add a "horn disable button" for the first one. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Large groups, disparate off roading skills tend to put a real damper on the trip.
Folks who are not flexible, plans changes, weather conditions are dynamic. Some spots require more time and exploration.

All of the above generally mean that I wheel with the same crew most of the time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts