Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,147 Posts
When I can find it non-ethinol premium. Otherwise just premium.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Octane ratings are subject to altitude. For example, here in Colorado the only octanes available are regular 85, mid-grade 87, and premium 91.

I run regular with no problems on my 2010 FJ Cruiser.

Cant tell from your post if 87 is regular or mid-grade.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Our CR is either 10:1 for single VVTi engine or 10.4:1 for dual VVTi. Based on this I think it's alright to run good quality RON 95 in pre-2010 FJs, but it would be better to stick with RON 98 or better in 2010 and later engines.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just heading home from PR. Saw more FJ's than I have ever seen before. Especially in the Mayaguez, Rincon, Isabela area. I would say ask one of the thousands driving around there. My guess is most if not all are running 87.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is a fairly good video. I’m sure there are plenty others just like it but, this one seems to cover it all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I run 87 octane with ethanol for 4 tanks, and then 95 octane ethanol-free for 2 tanks. Sure can feel the difference. I fill my upper tank with the 95 octane ethanol-free since it isn't hydrophilic - stores for a year easy without even stabilizer. We run all gas equipment at our farm on ethanol-free - far fewer maintenance issues over winter.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I have used regular unleaded in my 2008 FJ from day one, and have never experienced any spark-knock. Every now and then I will put a tank of 91 octane premium through it. Chevron Techron fuel additive is my choice when adding an injection/fuel system cleaner. The sticker inside the fuel door on my FJ says "Premium unleaded fuel only." Again, I have never had an issue in Alaska. If the vehicle spark-knocks in the warmer weather, I would definitely go with a higher octane fuel. Just my 2c.
Happy trails!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't think you'll hear the actual knock, the sensor will report knock condition long before it would be audible, so that the spark retard could kick in.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I always use 91. If you think about it its only going to cost you $2 to $4 more per tank for the correct fuel. I definitely think my FJ is worth that. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
So, allegedly, Shells V-Power Nitro puts 7 times the amount of cleaning agents required by law and they claim one tank can clean up to 50% of the deposits on intake valves. There is a project farm video on the tube where he took a lawn mower engine, cleaned it out and ran a tank of Shell V-Power then repeated with cheap gas. The Shell definitely did better with fewer deposits but, not by much.

So, I guess from my research that it's required by law to have cleaning agents in all gas but, my guess is that the cheap gas puts in the absolute minimum or lower quality cleaning agents so, I stand corrected saying before that cheap gas doesn't put any cleaners in.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I learned a lot from this thread. Thanks. Not really a jack because it's some what related. Old timers used to tell me not to fill up right after the station gets refilled from the big tankers, churns up yucky stuff. Any truth to this ?

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
What’s better, 93 octane up to 10% ethanol or 90 octane ethanol free, at the same cost per gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
212 Posts
What’s better, 93 octane up to 10% ethanol or 90 octane ethanol free, at the same cost per gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's not the same price per gallon as one gallon of pure gas (ethanol free) has more energy in it (and will drive you further) than the gallon of gas with ethanol in it so, I'd go with the 90 octane ethanol free.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I recently put 104 octane race gas in mine. 6 teeth fell out, my girlfriend got fat, I developed a mullet and I bought 5 30 packs of Miller lite.
oh and my engine melted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts