Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install the JL Audio XD 700/5 amp in the FJ. The manual says,

"Many vehicles employ small (10 AWG -6 AWG) wire to ground the battery to the vehicle chassis and to connect the alternator's positive connection to the battery. To prevent voltage drops, these wires should be upgraded to 4 AWG when installing amplifier systems with main fuse ratings above 60A."

Does anyone know what gauge wire grounds the battery and connects to the alternator in a stock FJ? Many thx.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The alternator puts out 200A, the stock cables at its length is sufficient.

Additionally your amp will not use more than 60A.

I wouldn't worry about this, just pick large enough cable for the amp.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to hook up more than one amp which would have required a higher amp fuse, but I changed my mind and decided to keep my hearing.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've got 3 amps (total ~1200 Watts) and a JBL MS8 and no problems with the stock wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
My amp pushes 1200 watts RMS and 1600 peak, fused at 80A. I've not once had a problem with the voltage dipping.

This is the first vehicle I've ever had where I didn't need to upgrade the alternator to run my system.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Do you have any hearing left? :bigthumb:
What?!?! Speak up!!

J/K I've actually only had it installed since September and I typically don't listen to it all that loud.

It all started because with the tire, exhaust and wind noise I couldn't hear the stock system very well. And I wanted a little more bass. The project sorta got out of control and resulted in the rear seats being removed in favor of a sub box and false floor.

The system includes two 10" subs, Polk components in the stock dash and door locations, MB Quart coaxs built into the storage units that are attached to the sub box (rear fill), 3 ARC Audio amps and JBL MS8 to integrate the FJammer and to do processing, EQ etc. It sounds great and I can hear details in the music that I have never noticed before. And it'll get pretty loud without distorting. To those who say it's impossible to get good sound without replacing the HU I say pffffffff. All you need is the MS8 and although it costs the same as a fairly decent HU it is VERY easy to hook up and does some amazing things with its processor.

I don't know if you've noticed but on some cars with aftermarket stereos there can be a dimming of the headlights of the vehicle, typically when the subs fire. This happened in my first car that only had a 300W system. I have yet to see that happen in the FJ with 4 times as much power in the stereo and a lot more accessories (lights, GPS etc) drawing power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts