Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what gear the transfer case needs to be in for daily driving. Getting mixed answers from everyone even Toyota. I would like to not destroy my transfer case. Please help! This is for Manual transmission which is completely different from the automatic.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! I actually just figured it out earlier. So when it is in 4L the light will always be on? So frustrating that nobody drives manual anymore so it's so hard to find the answer 😭 Toyota: "an fj cruiser? We haven't made those since 2014" ya I know.. also not that long ago.. but then again how many manual transmissions have they ever seen? Probably not many. Thank you all again!

·
Registered
2007 FJ M/T Arctic Silver 285/70/17 no BMC no Rub
605 Posts
MT drivers are the real deal.
Funny how many people give u props when they see you drive a manual. I buy all MT because I'm ADD and need something to focus on lol

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Funny how many people give u props when they see you drive a manual. I buy all MT because I'm ADD and need something to focus on lol
I know, I've always just enjoyed driving a manual, if it's available that's been my default since 17 - almost 40 - and I've had horrible luck with automatics. THE ABSOLUTE hardest thing I've worked on, way out of my DIY interest range and skill range, I had no business going inside of my last Dodge Ram, but I was in a pinch, and it worked out and a couple years later sold it for another truck. I'd rather replace clutches in manuals than clutch packs in automatics, zero faith I'd be able to work on that auto transmission and feel good about it - even if I got it running! :)

In fact if my FJ had been auto at the 220k mileage it had at purchase, I would have passed. It was a 1 owner, but it had a service history of really just Mobil 1 jiffy lube type oil changes, not much on record with Toyota - so with an automatic no record of any trans service, meh - "bulletproof" or not - I'd always worry about it in the back of my head. That's not saying it wouldn't last for all you high-miler auto-lovers. Respect. :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I am trying to figure out what gear the transfer case needs to be in for daily driving. Getting mixed answers from everyone even Toyota. I would like to not destroy my transfer case. Please help! This is for Manual transmission which is completely different from the automatic.
Thanks
Not sure who the 'Toyota' is that you're talking to, but the absolute first place to go with this type of question would be the Owner's manual.

The Owner's Manuals for every model year FJ Cruiser are available for free download from the Toyota.com website (Owners tab, then Resources, then Manuals & Warranties).

Here is an excerpt from the 2007 Owner's Manual - it is even more specific than the later manuals about the 'H' position being the best range for dry-pavement driving with respect to best fuel economy, lest noise, and least wear and tear on driveline components:
Manual transmission transfer case operation = 2007.JPG

(The sentence covering the LL range is on a separate page.)

Here is an excerpt from a 2010 Owner's Manual, but the verbiage from 2008-2014 manuals is the same:
Manual transmission transfer case operation.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Excellent input from FJTest, as usual!

Note that when your manual transmission center diff is locked in HL, the Torsen differential is fixed at 50/50 (also, VSC is shut off, and the throttle control of TRAC is also shut off), so I leave it in H for all driving unless off road and the Torsen can distribute torque to whichever axle is getting the most traction, seamlessly and instantaneously - its the best part of owning a manual FJ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts