Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto tranny. What gear should I select for about town. I realize the tranny is intelligent (it's just I'm not), and I've been told just to leave it in drive. However, my instincts, and my late father's advice not to "lug" any engine, is pretty hard to shake. My motor is now broke in, but to date i've made a purposeful effort to use the gears the tranny has

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: what gear

Just go off roading every weekend or so, this will give you a chance to try to use different gears on different terrain. :D

·
Banned
2,984 Posts

I just leave mine in D. If I'm creeping in traffic, not going over 30, I'll drop it down to 4. Here's why:

I'm a Ford guy. Always have been. Ford's auto trannies are built differently. The Ford techs recommend that if you are driving under 50 MPH, hit the overdrive lockout button. This causes the trans to shift less, and the trans will last longer. I know Toyota is different, but the logic seems universal. Any Toyota techs wanna speak up?

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts

I leave it in D and let the tranny lug the engine at 1,100 rpms. That's the way it's designed, the VVT help in that area. I also have averaged just under 23 mpg for 17,500 miles so who am I second guess the engineers and the computers. I do however manual shift it whenever I want to keep it from shifting too much in hilly terrain or when I'm trying to compression brake (the best an auto can) going down steep inclines.

These are 2007-8 engines, transmissions and computers. They are light years ahead of the junk we drove in the 80's.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

I just leave mine in D. If I'm creeping in traffic, not going over 30, I'll drop it down to 4. Here's why:

I'm a Ford guy. Always have been. Ford's auto trannies are built differently. The Ford techs recommend that if you are driving under 50 MPH, hit the overdrive lockout button. This causes the trans to shift less, and the trans will last longer. I know Toyota is different, but the logic seems universal. Any Toyota techs wanna speak up?
Same here, old school I guess!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

i agree with your theory big guy.. lol you must be in the mountains also. it doesn't really matter if you are in the fj or a mini van. here i do have to sometimes (either vehicle) downshift to 4 or remove od, to keep them from lugging. and do a lot of downshifting on decent..

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

I also have averaged just under 23 mpg for 17,500 miles so who am I second guess the engineers and the computers.

DEWFPO
How do you get such great mileage? I get about 17 driving around town running 87, totally stock except for stuff listed in my sig.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts

How do you get such great mileage? I get about 17 driving around town running 87, totally stock except for stuff listed in my sig.
I do most all my driving between 5,000 and 7,200' of elevation. That means my FJ's engine makes significantly less HP & TQ (uses less fuel), as well most all my driving is rural or highway. Very little city driving per se. I also drive pretty conservatively most of the time. My wife has a heavier foot and the decrease in mpg's is obvious.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
368 Posts

I generally leave my FJ in D so it can have whatever gear it wants. I wouldn't want to deprive it of any of its yearnings.
Well you know; "Spare the shift, spoil the FJ...":rofl::lol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts