Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting in a 5 channel amp that is 75 RMS x 4 plus 350 RMS x1 sub channel.
What guage would you use? I've been told 8 g and 4 g but don't want go big for the sake of going big ie 4 g.
Also what guage speaker wire would you guys use.
Thanks for any help you guys might have.
SCott

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
8 gauge for power and 16 for speakers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm putting in a 5 channel amp that is 75 RMS x 4 plus 350 RMS x1 sub channel.
What guage would you use? I've been told 8 g and 4 g but don't want go big for the sake of going big ie 4 g.
Also what guage speaker wire would you guys use.
Thanks for any help you guys might have.
SCott
For speakers, suggest to use 12ga Oxygen free (my preference) or regular wire, anything below is overkill. For power. if you are connecting directly to battery then 10-12ga will do, you will need to fuse this as well. For both make sure they are stranded wires and ensure that you have a good ground connections. You should be ok with this, unless you are putting on more than one amp. Don't go crazy on the length either, the shorter the better, but allow for flex, future mod's,and upgrades. One last thing, solder the wires if you can and keep the install clean & Tidy.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Here's a link that breaks down what wire sizes you should use for various wattage requirements and lengths. Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes

It sounds like you'll be drawing 650 watts RMS. You probably want 4 gauge.

Your circuit will draw a peak of around 100 amps and that is a big honkin' circuit so don't go small on the wires. If you do, they'll get hot and when you're pulling that much power, you could have a fire hazard.

Smaller wire will work if you never turn it up all the way but why have all that power if you can't do that.

You should be able to use that chart for your speaker wires too although it doesn't go down to 75 watts. Based on the length you'll probably need the wires to go, 12 ga might work but you may want 10 gauge if you have to make long runs. For the sub, you'll probably want 8 ga.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts