Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thinkerg:
What would be the best tire pressure for city-freeway driving for both- MPG and comfort ride, also tire wear?

For summer and winter as well.

I have Off-road pack with BFGoodrich 265x75 R16.

Yes, Yes I know what the label on driver door says – 32 psi, but it’s always manufacturer big compromise between many factors – safety, fuel economy, braking distance and so.

From my point of view – with 32 psi it’s LOOKS LIKE A LITTLE BIT UNDERINFLATED !
I am using accurate pro instrument (both digital and analog) on cold morning tires to check pressure.

Yes I know all possible jokes about that issue…:)

But seriously, 35-37 psi looks better to me for all reasons! Except may be braking distance not much.

What do you guys thinking about?
Any opinions very appreciated

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
I actually run my BFG Mud terrains at 50psi in the city. :worried:

But never that much on the trails...

Really, you can run up to the max tire pressure printed on the sidewall and probably be fine. But like you say, your cornering and braking may be negatively affected. If 35 to 37 PSI does not exceed the tire pressure max on the sidewall you'll be fine, and probably get a few more miles/km's to the tank...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I run about 37 myself on the road. No problems with uneven wear or anything.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I run Cepek Mud Countries, 265/70R/17s at 50 psi on the road. Max air pressure for the tire is sidewall marked at a max. of 80 psi. At 50 psi I get about 18 mpg. At 35 psi it drops to around 16 mpg. I air down to 28 psi off road in mud and sand.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:cheers:
Thank you guys !

That is exactly what I did think about: 32 PSI is too low pressure for city/freeway driving!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yes, Yes I know what the label on driver door says – 32 psi, but it’s always manufacturer big compromise between many factors – safety, fuel economy, braking distance and so.

From my point of view – with 32 psi it’s LOOKS LIKE A LITTLE BIT UNDERINFLATED !
I am using accurate pro instrument (both digital and analog) on cold morning tires to check pressure.

Yes I know all possible jokes about that issue…:)

But seriously, 35-37 psi looks better to me for all reasons! Except may be braking distance not much.

What do you guys thinking about?
Any opinions very appreciated

Pneumatic tires should bulge out a little bit on the bottom. The purpose of running tires at this psi is to absorb some of the bumps of the road. Your trade for higher mpg by running higher psi is a less comfortable ride.

THis is okay with me. i run my BFG's at 40 on the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you guys running high pressure (40+) have any weird wear patterns? Center of the tire wearing quicker than the sides? Whether or not you see overinflation signs has alot to do with your particular tires, I know, but 50 seems like...alot. I never went higher than 40 or so on my taco, even with big loads of firewood or heavy trailers.

I've been running 35 in my stockers, got 19MPG on my very first tank. If I could get by with another 5 psi I dont think I'd have any problem breaking 20MPG after break in.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Have BFG AT's stock size. Max. tire pressure on sidewall is 50 psi. Not sure what the max. weight is but I'm nowhere near it. I run them at 42 psi cold set. On a day with about 70F ambient they will increase to 46 psi after about 30 minutes of running. Ride is fine. No abnormal wear in centre of tire.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
When I got my 34s, the tire place aired to 50psi. Twice my brakes failed, due to the rear bouncing on rough roads and making the FJ think it was in some sort of skid. Now they are at 40psi and I have never had any problems. I don't think gas mileage is much different and if it were, my safety is more important then saving a few cents. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Nitto Terra Grapplers...Max air on side is 65....I have them at 45 and have thought about going to 50 to see how they ride. I am driving her up to Wash DC tomorrow for the week....might do 50lbs on way up and then 45 on way back and compare...so far no wear issues.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Do you guys running high pressure (40+) have any weird wear patterns? Center of the tire wearing quicker than the sides? Whether or not you see overinflation signs has alot to do with your particular tires, I know, but 50 seems like...alot. I never went higher than 40 or so on my taco, even with big loads of firewood or heavy trailers.

I've been running 35 in my stockers, got 19MPG on my very first tank. If I could get by with another 5 psi I dont think I'd have any problem breaking 20MPG after break in.
At 35 my BFG's were wearing at the edges faster than the inside. I am hoping 50 will help to correct this/prevent this. 50 does seem to increase my km's per tank. :clap:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm at 45 pounds on my BFG ATs with no abnormal wear patterns. However, I have never noticed a mileage increase with higher/lower pressure, just ride quality (better at 45psi than 35psi).

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Ive had my nitto mud grapplers at 36 psi, for 2 years and no uneven wear.
Coming back from a long trip I went to 50psi. NO MPG change. 2 different tire shop guys said, 36-50 psi will no effect on MPG, will just make the ride worse.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
they sure do feel floppy at low psi when you kick them don't they. that kind of bothers me on the road. on the trail it doesn't. so I guess the floppy is ok?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts