Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my OME lift with the cups upside down a few weeks ago and had some light rubbing on the sway bar. I thought I'd better get it fixed before it does any damage so that was today's project. My bro-in-law and I got it back to the part where we used some sketchy spring compressors we bought at harbor freight (2 sets just in case) and I remembered some threads on here where people mentioned that tire stores will compress springs for $30 or so. I thought that it would be well worth avoiding launching a little piece of Australia into my cranium.

I take them to the nearest Les Schwab, passing two Big O tires on the way. Years ago on a particularly eventful road trip to Portland I found myself in 3 separate Les Schwabs before Utah had heard of them, and I was so impressed by the service that I have sworn by them ever since.

Until today. I asked how much it would be at the counter and the guy said it was billed hourly but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to set up, but it would take them an hour to get to it. Okay an hour, I'll come back no big deal.

I come back an hour and a half later, and the guy says they are going to bill me for 1 hour of labor. A WHOLE HOUR to do something that I had previously done with crappy spring compressors to both sides, my first time working on suspension in about 1/2 hour.

The bill came to $90.00+tax. My local 4x4 shop had told me they could fix the cups on both sides for roughly $100.00, but I thought that I could save that money for something nice to put in the FJ and I would do most of it myself.

I yanked the tires. Pulled off the skid plate. Took off the sway bar. Undid the lower control bolts. Removed the bolt that holds the bottom of the shock. Removed the three bolts at the top. Pulled out the shock. And then after my wallet was plundered, put it all back together.

Am I being ridiculous (please be honest with me) or does an hour seem excessive to put 2 shocks/springs on the compressor pull off a bolt, flip the cups and re-compress them putting the bolt back on to keep it together? I even had the springs and cup and shock marked so they could easily line everything up and it would clock right when all was put back together. Not to mention that I was told it would only take a few minutes when I dropped it off.

If I could call Les himself I would. Instead I will be calling the manager on Monday so he knows that what 3 Les Schwabs 2 states away had built so strongly 7 years ago, his staff destroyed in the 3 minute conversation that ended with me spending $90.00.

If you're into good customer service, and fair prices Les Schwab on 12th street in Ogden is not for you. If the manager does something miraculous I might have to eat all these words, but I'm not holding my breath.:flame::flame::flame:

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Have you ever noticed it rarely (if ever) goes the other way? They don't tell you it's going to cost you 1 hr @ $90 and then when you come back in to pick it up they say, hey it only took 10 minutes so your bill will only be $15, sorry for the bad quote. Seems like they act very reasonable when you are asking for a price quote only to find that they have a 1 hr minimum charge when you come to liberate your parts. It's happened to me too many times before. I doubt talking to the manager will help get you any money back but he does deserve to hear what you have to say.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
That is a lot of money for that. It takes them at max 10 minutes to do it if you are just handing them the springs. When i got mine done both times at different places, i told them i KNEW how long it took to do it and what was involved. I made them agree on 30 bucks or i would take it somewhere else (this was done before hand, and in the morning when they were not busy, ie they wanted the business as small as it was)

I agree that there is not much you can do now after the fact. It helps to find a local shop and get to know the owner for small little odds and ends like this. I would go ahead and voice your opinion to the manager that it was over priced for what it was. He may give you a coupon or something if he cares about your business.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Have you ever noticed it rarely (if ever) goes the other way? They don't tell you it's going to cost you 1 hr @ $90 and then when you come back in to pick it up they say, hey it only took 10 minutes so your bill will only be $15, sorry for the bad quote. Seems like they act very reasonable when you are asking for a price quote only to find that they have a 1 hr minimum charge when you come to liberate your parts. It's happened to me too many times before. I doubt talking to the manager will help get you any money back but he does deserve to hear what you have to say.

DEWFPO
Rarely is right - but I did have a great experience with my Toyota dealership when dealing with our old Sienna. Needed a break job and they quoted $700 for all four. When I picked it up, they charged me $350, and the service manager at the time stated that he considered the front pads worn a bit 'prematurely' so considered it pad failure, and covered it under warranty. I know this was not the case but he was obviously in a generous mood and covered the cost of the front brakes for us. Oh, it was around 65,000 kms on the brakes, so probably not premature failure.

This is why I give my dealership my business - I have had very few complaints with them.

:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you ever need to compress your springs again you can come and use my wall mounted spring compressor for free. I live in Layton.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts