Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
YOU sir must have a problem reading and understanding basic English. Re-read my first and last posts and you might understand what I am saying.
nah I'll choose rather to just keep trolling this thread cause it seems that you as the OP are choosing that mentality also :bigthumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Again, like I instructed the other poster, re-read my first and last posts. Where in the posts do I bash your beloved FJ's? I am stating facts posted by your OWN FORUM MEMBERS! I am not pulling this information out of the sky! I came here to research the FJ. I am talking about concerns and problems with the vehicle your own forum members have posted.

And where do you see me state I am no longer interested in purchasing an FJ? You people are simply amazing. Way too sensitive and defensive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked at your link, that is a cherry old Cruiser. But if I had to choose between that and my 2011 FJ as a daily driver, there's no question I'd take my FJ. As far as Toyota quality, I have a 2000 Tundra which I bought new. 258,000 miles. I've changed the battery, the starter a few times, an idle control module, alternator and I've done normal maintenance. I'd say that's very little to go wrong with this many miles.
Look at it from another angle. If in your opinion the Toyota's of the '70's were much better than the Toyota's of today, then buy one from the '70's.
I've had my 2011 FJ for almost 4 months and have 14,000 miles. No problems yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
nah I'll choose rather to just keep trolling this thread cause it seems that you as the OP are choosing that mentality also :bigthumb:
No, I am not a Troll, nor am I looking for a reaction. I was simply researching the FJ to ascertain if I want to buy one. By the ridicules responses I have received from the posters here, it appears some are "passive aggressive," insecure and need to take an English refresher course so they can read and UNDERSTAND what I have posted.

I will look to other,more mature and intelligent sources to research the vehicle. It's obvious this is not the forum to accomplish this task!

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
but the point the posts I quoted were trying to make is volume/accessibility of information in the 1970's vs Today. You completely ignored these posts as facts that you simply could not have known in the 70's (even looking back on them today) the failure rate of current owners the way you can becuase of the internet today.

So it stands to reason like everyone is saying..... your blowing the failures you mention in your OP out of proportion. <----THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE HERE IS TELLING YOU. Yet you still seem not to hear them.

You should be taking those failures under consideration as what can and has happened in some cases but not as the norm as I doubt most owners will ever see this problem. Additionally, I believe regarding the cracking issue Toyota did a redesign in 2008 to fix this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I'm not blowing any failures out of proportion. I'm just asking about what your own forum members are saying. Look at what they are saying on this sub forum, "If you could tell Toyota." These are your members talking, not me. That is why I am asking why the FJ is having all of these concerns.

I don't own one. I don't know. I'm researching the vehicle to consider a purchase! I'm not here making this stuff up. I'm asking about the problems your forum members are listing! When I research a product, I take all information in and process it. I then come to my own conclusion. Yes I'm sure a lot of the concerns your forum members are listing are at best, far and few between. But as I am not an owner, I have to look at all that is posted and then come to a conclusion.

But, that said, the members that have posted on my thread are rude and way too sensitive. It's like someone is insulting their mother. They need to read my posts, not read into them and not make a "Knee jerk" rude reaction.

Yes I know we did not have the Internet in the 70's. That's a given. And I never said the early Landcruisers were perfect. That is why I said re-read my posts. But, I was heavily involved with Landcrusier vehicles back then. They were a strong, well made, simple, take you where you want to go vehicle. They did not have all of the computer bells and whistles the new FJ has. They were a basic, solid vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I looked at your link, that is a cherry old Cruiser. But if I had to choose between that and my 2011 FJ as a daily driver, there's no question I'd take my FJ. As far as Toyota quality, I have a 2000 Tundra which I bought new. 258,000 miles. I've changed the battery, the starter a few times, an idle control module, alternator and I've done normal maintenance. I'd say that's very little to go wrong with this many miles.
Look at it from another angle. If in your opinion the Toyota's of the '70's were much better than the Toyota's of today, then buy one from the '70's.
I've had my 2011 FJ for almost 4 months and have 14,000 miles. No problems yet.
I would never consider an old 70's landcruiser as a daily driver. With the fuel prices as they are, I would not want an FJ as a daily driver either. I would go for something that gets 40 MPG or such.

Also, I'm not saying the Toyotas of the 70's were better than the Toyotas today. I'm saying I owned a 1975 Landcruiser that I bought new. It was a great vehicle. I'm now looking for a weekend toy. The FJ peaked my interest. I'm doing research on the FJ and was amazed at how many members of this forum posted negative things and problems with the vehicle. I had hoped the FJ was a great, trouble free, vehicle. By what the forum members here are posting, that does not seem to be the case.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Very interesting. You all must be the exception on this forum, as reading the complaints on this forum states other wise. I'm not comparing the cruiser of yesterday to the "High tech. freeway flier" version of today. But no, we did not have a lot of problems with our cruisers back then. The vehicle was basic, made of steel, not plastic and was tough as nails. And yes I would have seen the problems that they had, as i was a dealership service technician for thirty years. Started in 1969 before most of you folks were born I'm sure. We had a Toyota dealership in the group I was with also. I spoke with the Toyota techs all of the time, was in the loop as far as landcruiser enthusiasts and did a lot of work with the old Downey off road guys. Back then we put small block Chevy motors in them. Try that today with your FJ's.

Hopefully the new FJ will fair as well thirty five years from now. But some how I don't think so. The vehicles of today are "Throw a ways." Go try and buy a super clean cruiser from that era. It will cost you at least $18,000.00 to buy a nice clean one. I wonder if today's version will hold it's value like that? Some how I don't think so.

It's obvious that you folks are proud of your FJ's, as were we with our "Cruisers" back then. We were at war with the Jeep guys all of the time. But hey, back then a Jeep was a Jeep. Not some plastic throw away like todays version.
in fairness....you would have to say that about all new vehicles....not just the FJ....new vehicles will never rise in value like a '34 Ford roadster or a '57 Chevy...the cool thing about the FJ's are that the 90% of the time we are in real on the pavement we are in a nice vehicle that performs well the 10% of the time we get to enjoy the dirt/snow/rocks...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I would never consider an old 70's landcruiser as a daily driver. With the fuel prices as they are, I would not want an FJ as a daily driver either. I would go for something that gets 40 MPG or such.

Also, I'm not saying the Toyotas of the 70's were better than the Toyotas today. I'm saying I owned a 1975 Landcruiser that I bought new. It was a great vehicle. I'm now looking for a weekend toy. The FJ peaked my interest. I'm doing research on the FJ and was amazed at how many members of this forum posted negative things and problems with the vehicle. I had hoped the FJ was a great, trouble free, vehicle. By what the forum members here are posting, that does not seem to be the case.
I think (and could be wrong) that most people on this forum push the limits on the FJ and would constitute the worst case senario......Nascar pushes Fords/Chevys/Dodges/Toyotas hard and break things too....any time you push limits you run the risk of issues. I think that is why there has always been aftermarket parts for those who do.....

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

This is a valid point. But, not that any of us have this information available, so it's more "food for thought," how many members are on here, and how many of us have any major issues? I would guess if you were to look at it from a percentage perspective, I would be willing to bet less than 5% of us have had any major problems. Now I would also be more than willing to put such a statistic up against pretty much any other vehicle on Earth. Will the FJ be the winner? Probably not, but I'll bet it will have one of the highest percentages of offroad ready vehicles. Especially ones that look as badass as the FJ does.

You're so much nicer when you're not lashing out. :lookaround:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
^^^ Not sure what everyones elses car choices are or have been over the years, or how many each of you have owned in your lifetimes.. 47.. 47 different rides Ive owned...From complete beaters to get back n forth to work in to Street strip drag cars to soccer mom rides. Only 6 were brand new, 3 of those are Toyota.ALL were daily drivers. One of the new ones was traded for the FJ because it was in the shop repeatedly for electrical issues....and only had 30000 + miles at trade in.
Its correct I wouldnt base the Whole toyota line and reputation on whats just in this Forum. We make up a very small Percentage of the total number of FJ owners out there, and of that Number in here, there is a Larger number that have Modified them to the hiltor Off road them hard... SO In the complaint section its not a true picture.

Just based on your comment (the OP) I wouldnt recomend the FJ to you. With its quirks and issues, those that buy them do so out of the pure enjoyment and love for the FJ.. We choose to live with any issues and merely vent in here to voice concerns, but at the end of the day, you couldnt pry the steering wheel out of our hands.

Go buy a FOrd or government motors, I hear they just had a 1.4 million in recallls, You can get better quality there:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
The earlier vehicles were far simpler machines, smaller & lighter, and had much less horsepower as well.

I guess it makes sense that they lasted longer without issues simply because they dealt with much less strain per unit time.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I had my FJ for 4 1/2 years, 50,000 miles and not one single problem and there are many others with similar experience. :cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had my FJ for 4 1/2 years, 50,000 miles and not one single problem and there are many others with similar experience. :cheers:
I have had my FJ for 3 years and 48000 miles. I off-road and have no issues. You have to remember that with the number of members here and the number of posts someone will always have a problem with something.:cheers:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I knew this would be fun to watch-The OP IMHO has a reasonable perspective for his experiences, but you really can't compare 70's vehicle (many were pretty bad) to thin skinned modern vehicles (that's apple's to watermelons--not even close).

For a "wiser/seasoned" (OLD like me!) guy tho, he seems a little high strung! he must have expected SOME defensive replies (that's it...buy a Defender)!

Funniest line of the thread so far (regarding JEEPS): "...a body that rusted from talking about water...". Precisely why I dumped the one and only Jeep (CJ) I ever owned...friggin RUST I HATE RUST!

Carry on-

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^ Not sure what everyones elses car choices are or have been over the years, or how many each of you have owned in your lifetimes.. 47.. 47 different rides Ive owned...From complete beaters to get back n forth to work in to Street strip drag cars to soccer mom rides. Only 6 were brand new, 3 of those are Toyota.ALL were daily drivers. One of the new ones was traded for the FJ because it was in the shop repeatedly for electrical issues....and only had 30000 + miles at trade in.
Its correct I wouldnt base the Whole toyota line and reputation on whats just in this Forum. We make up a very small Percentage of the total number of FJ owners out there, and of that Number in here, there is a Larger number that have Modified them to the hiltor Off road them hard... SO In the complaint section its not a true picture.

Just based on your comment (the OP) I wouldnt recomend the FJ to you. With its quirks and issues, those that buy them do so out of the pure enjoyment and love for the FJ.. We choose to live with any issues and merely vent in here to voice concerns, but at the end of the day, you couldn't pry the steering wheel out of our hands.

Go buy a FOrd or government motors, I hear they just had a 1.4 million in recallls, You can get better quality there:lol:
There you go. Fixed that for you.

I agree. I've only owned... 6 vehicles. Of those, the one that gave me the most issues was my Silverado. The one that was the most fun on the street was my RX7. And the one that is the most fun overall is my FJ. I've had a couple of issues with my FJ, but my warranty covered them.

Personally, even with all the potential issues, and the issues I've had thus far with my FJ, I still plan on driving my FJ till the doors fall off... and then I'll just add some tube doors.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I can`t say much for the FJ... it`s still one year old, but already closing on 30k... But i can attest for 4th Gen 4Runner, which is the same thing as FJ pretty much... almost 100k on it and the ONLY problem i had with that truck in 7 years of ownership was a frozen caliper on the driver side, that`s it! I think it`s pretty damn good in my book :)

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
There you go. Fixed that for you.

I agree. I've only owned... 6 vehicles. Of those, the one that gave me the most issues was my Silverado. The one that was the most fun on the street was my RX7. And the one that is the most fun overall is my FJ. I've had a couple of issues with my FJ, but my warranty covered them.

Personally, even with all the potential issues, and the issues I've had thus far with my FJ, I still plan on driving my FJ till the doors fall off... and then I'll just add some tube doors.
:lol:.. thanks n corrected permantly

21 - 40 of 95 Posts