Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have knowledge or pics. I ask because my kids will be offroading with me and it just makes me a little nervous. I might condsider a roll cage.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I do know at least one person here had a rollover
when wheeling, and if I remember correctly, it did
not have any real cabin area damage... Unless
you are planning on pre-running at speeds, you
should be fine... depends really on you level of
trailing you plan to do...

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
08's have roll sensing curtain air bags i believe. 07's do not. If you are considering a roll cage, you would need to know how to make the cage around the curtain airbags, if you have them. Check air2air's build up, he had a roll cage built. I think you would be okay with out it though.

I know it is better safe then sorry, but i personally wouldn't do anything that would put me close to rolling with children in the FJ. (i would make them get out for that part :) )

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
This happened to one of my friends when we were out.

A flashflood was the cause. Both the driver & passenger walked away.

·
Registered
472 Posts
As a passenger in a rolled FJ, I got a mild concussion, some minor cuts and bruises, and a sore neck. Your results may vary. We rolled down a hill three times before landing on the wheels, so I would say that the FJ is pretty safe. I have thought about a roll cage, but if my head hit that, even padded, I probably would have been worse off.
In my experience, an off road type seat with a safety harness would have kept me planted in my seat and not flying into the roof. :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
From seeing the after math of the roll over tit was in I must say I am very impressed with how the FJ handled it. The C-pillar kept its shape perfectly, the B-pillar came in a little and the A-pillar was the worst and caved in enough to worry about.

I've got pictures of it somewhere, I'll post them when I find them. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you do a search there's some storis and pics of roll-overs in this forum--I've always been impresses (and felt safer) seeingthat the roof pillars and sides/doors kept their shape. The FJ is a tank!

I don't wnatto sned the message that the FJ is a top-heavy, ustable vehicle, tho... The rollovers were due to being hit from other drivers, or the dirt road underneath giving way, or doing donuts in a muddy field with rechless abandon (you know who you are!).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a passenger in a rolled FJ, I got a mild concussion, some minor cuts and bruises, and a sore neck. Your results may vary. We rolled down a hill three times before landing on the wheels, so I would say that the FJ is pretty safe. I have thought about a roll cage, but if my head hit that, even padded, I probably would have been worse off.
In my experience, an off road type seat with a safety harness would have kept me planted in my seat and not flying into the roof. :clap:
Ahh that was you. Kudos for using it like it was made. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
, or doing donuts in a muddy field with rechless abandon (you know who you are!).
Shhh, I did not do that, but I might have photos! lol

Also a couple of weekends ago we had a TT up pretty close to the tipping point.

But I was amazed how far the FJC tilted it was and it still did not go over on its side. Not that I recommend doing this.

No damage! And after the FJC drove down it was weird to stand in the rut and see the wheel marks on top, at about shoulder height! I should have got a photo of that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
From what I've read, I would be more worried about the fire.....

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
08's have roll sensing curtain air bags i believe. 07's do not. If you are considering a roll cage, you would need to know how to make the cage around the curtain airbags, if you have them. Check air2air's build up, he had a roll cage built. I think you would be okay with out it though.

I know it is better safe then sorry, but i personally wouldn't do anything that would put me close to rolling with children in the FJ. (i would make them get out for that part :) )
It's an option for 07's

·
Registered
35 Posts
On average, I'd say you face much greater risk to life and limb in a roadway rollover than a 'potentially' slower speed off-road incident.

I had the displeasure of seeing the aftermath of a 4Runner on it's lid in the middle of an Oakland freeway recently. Kinda thing that makes ur heart sink as the EMTs did what they could.

Sad reminder that the dynamics of a truck are much different than those of a sedan.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have always wondered what the tipping angle is, although I am sure it depends on the situation, I had my inclometer ?? pinned at 30, and kept going a bit, very scary but it handled it,

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I have always wondered what the tipping angle is, although I am sure it depends on the situation, I had my inclometer ?? pinned at 30, and kept going a bit, very scary but it handled it,
I've had my (3") lifted FJC at this angle and it didn't roll - felt very "tippy" but drove out of it. Notice that the meter is off scale! I had trail mates spot me with a line before I drove out but it didn't really need it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The roll over point for an FJ is at 40+. I was told directly by Brian Swearingen from the Trail Team, (and another trail team driver)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had mine about 35 degrees I would guess, Although I have 6" lift with 1.25" wheel spacers.
Man it is scary but the truck is very stable,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts