Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, here's the results up front.

http://imgur.com/a/ZUso7

Visually, I'm very happy--as of today. Honestly, I'm hoping it will last, but I am skeptical. Here's a summary of lessons learned:

1. Prep was to clean with Dupont Duplicolor grease and wax remover, sand with 400 grit sandpaper, clean, sand, clean. Lesson learned: I should have saved some money and just used acetone. Judging purely by smell, that is what the grease and wax remover is made of.

2. I then sprayed 2 coats of Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter. This was an easy step that went without issue.

3. I started with Rustoleum High Heat Paint in BBQ Black. After one coat I suspected it would not match the stock trim as well as I had read in some posts here. After two coats I was dead nuts sure. It is too light, gray, and flat. The stock trim is fully black and perhaps satin. Not as matte and matte. Not as gloss as gloss. Time to change paints mid-project.

4. Nobody in town had Duplicolor Bumper Coating, which I originally wanted to use. I settled for Duplicolor Bumper and Trim Paint in flat black. I sprayed right over the first two coats of Rustoleum. No problems.

5. Wow does that paint match the stock trim nicely! It looked so nice I opted to clean the visible areas of my bumpers, sand with 800 grit, clean, sand, clean. Then apply two light coats of adhesion promoter. Then apply two light coats of bumper and trim paint in flat black. It really freshened up the bumpers nicely.

6. Then I hit all the painted areas with two coats of bumper and trim paint clear coat.

7. After following all the directions of each paint, the surfaces all felt tacky after an hour of drying. Then they still felt tacky after 2 hours. After 8 hours. After 24 hours!

8. In the end, I have to drive to work tomorrow, so my wife and I put on some latex gloves and reassembled the truck. We put a lot of fingerprints on the newly painted surfaces while doing this. To my surprise, they generally wipe off with a damp rag.

9. The painters tape I used left some nasty residue on the black rubber trim around the edge of the mirrors. Will use some type of cleaner after the paint has cured more. Don't use the grease and wax remover on the paint after you spray it! This is a laquer paint and the acetone will clean it right off. Don't ask me how I know.

10. I did some searches and found some people having problems with laquer paints, specifically duplicolor, having extended cure times. As in, 3-4 week cure times. So that's what I'm left with. I've put about 20 miles on it, and everything still looks good. I am definitely skeptical of what's gonna happen when a bug meets my grill at terminal velocity. Will it chip it all to hell? Will the paint eventually cure and I can wet sand it to remove the imperfections? I don't know. For now, I wait.

11. BTW, I bought a set of TT door handles and keyhole covers for $60 shipped to avoid having to paint mine. Those are what you see in the after photos. I'm glad I did else I would be putting fingerprints and imperfections all over the tacky paint on them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts