Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here and new (6days) to the fj, this has probably been asked, and answerd a few times here but here goes, for my first upgrade i was thinking of a cold air intake, Which one is best? iv found a K&N for $234 same price for the 77-9030 and the 63-9030, My fj is a 08 4 x 4. Is there a better one out there?

col

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I've only heard of two others. TRD and AFE. I have no idea which is best since I don't have any of the three. I believe the stock intake is cold enough for my purposes.

IMO most folks will not go through the process of buying, installing, and testing each one of these before deciding on the one they will keep. That being said, almost every review I have read on this site about CAI (of which there are perhaps hundreds) have been mostly seat-of-the-parts impressions with no real empirical results provided. So I say go with what you like.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am not sure about which intake to go with. For me, it's the volant, or the AFE. I would like it to mate up to a ARB Snorkel... or other brand snorkel:simmadown:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Go with the AFE or TRD Intakes. They both are the exact same except the AFE CAI has an inlet hole for air and the TRD one doesn't also the TRD CAI cost a bit more.

They both work great off road and both gives you better mpg on the streets!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the aFe and I am currently awaiting arrival of my TRD. They are exactly the same but the aFe has an inlet hole as mentioned above. aFe has a plug for it now.

If horsepower is such a big deal, I think you should save up for a supercharger. I think the stock intake is well made out of the box. However, I purchased my aFe for the look and the sound.
Does 10hp, 15hp, or 18hp really matter to you? Are you racing it? Does every single penny count when it comes to MPG? It's going to take a while for any intake to pay for itself in gas savings.

I went with the TRD to stay with the TRD edition theme. Is it all vanity when compared to the aFe? Yes, and I don't care because I spent my money on it.

I'm sure you just want to maximize what you get for the price you pay, but I don't think there is enough solid evidence that one is "better" than the other. Go with something you like and can afford.:)

·
Registered
734 Posts
The stock intake works great and it comes "FREE" with the vehicle!

If you go off-road, do not change your intake IMHO!

Spend some money on raising your breathers instead.
what breather? intake IS a breathing mod.

I, too, like my stock intake, and timid of getting water and particles during offroad.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input, iv found out that mine is one of the new ones with the THING (dont know what its called) on the end that SPINS? is that right? so i think ill stick with it for now, went offroad for the first time last weekend, lots of sand and dust, a bit of water, not much and not deep, decided to check the airfilter after and it was clean as a whistle, think ill save the money and get some skid plates.

col

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Thanks for all the input, iv found out that mine is one of the new ones with the THING (dont know what its called) on the end that SPINS? is that right? so i think ill stick with it for now, went offroad for the first time last weekend, lots of sand and dust, a bit of water, not much and not deep, decided to check the airfilter after and it was clean as a whistle, think ill save the money and get some skid plates.

col
You must have an '08. It's called a Cyclone Pre-Filter. It causes the incoming air to spin. The centrifugal force of the spinning air causes the heavier dirt particles to fly outward and collect in the Pre-Filter.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If you don't mind the noise, i'd say go TRD or AFE. Most others pull their air from the engine bay which is warm. The warmer the air is going into your intake the less dense it is, which means less power. Even though the other one look cool, i wouldn't pay for them.
As mentioned before, the TRD is made by AFE, therefore the same thing except the AFE has a hole in the box that can be plugged up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts