Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a Trail Team with the Icon lift and now I need bigger tires. I had planned on running the stock BFGs for awhile but I hate the look already, plus a friend wants to buy those for his truck.

I drive about 22-24k miles a year and I need a mud terrain in 305/70/16. Ive looked and searched and frankly I am overwhelmed. So now I ask everyone what is a good MT in that size that will work good on a daily driver that sees a decent bit of mileage. I have Spidertrax spacers on the way and I plan on a body mount chop for the clearence.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I put about 18k a year with my commute to work. I run BFG MT's KM's 285/70/17 and average about 17.5mpg on an OME lift. I should note I have added wt from an ARB rear bumper, roof rack and sliders. Hope this data helps ya!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
X2 I run the 285/75r16 BFG KMs as a DD as has worked out pretty well, although it does wear out faster than the ATs.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
without a doubt, the toyo open country mt. our shops sell a lot of them to people that drive strictly on the road all the way to people that are hardcore wheelers. they are a great tire off road, and we have seen the best fuel milage, balancing, life, and on road performance with them. did i mention they are just as quite as the BF AT?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I'm getting close to 20mpg with 305/70/16 MT/R. That's mostly freeway and some street driving (80/20). It's noisier then AT or stock, but it's a nice tire off road. In contrast to the bias ply Swamper LTB, the MT/R feels like a couch. I'll take the LTBs for ultimate toughness is required though.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
for longevity I can attest to the mickey thompson radials, i have been wheeling pretty hard and often and still driving it to work and back daily. I got the baja claws with over 28000 miles on them with a new one on the back as a spare and as MT's go these are holding up awesomly, Compaired to the spare measurement wise, I'm not even half way through the tread. No flats yet either except for the time I folded the rim, but a sledgehammer bent it back up to the bead and aired it back up. They do cost a pretty penny though.
for a cheaper option I have heard good about the Hankooks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm a fan of skinnies: 255/85R15 BFG MTs; lower rolling resistance for better tread wear and mpg. I've had mine for about 25K of pavement and hard wheeling and still have about 1/3 tread life left.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love my Hankooks but I only average about 15MPG at 305's, 50/50 highway/street driving. On road trips where I only do Highway, I get about 19MPG. The wear ok, but like any mud tire they tend to be on the soft side. They are not too loud either.

My next tire may be Nitto AT just to see if i can get a little better mileage without giving up off road traction.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
without a doubt, the toyo open country mt. our shops sell a lot of them to people that drive strictly on the road all the way to people that are hardcore wheelers. they are a great tire off road, and we have seen the best fuel milage, balancing, life, and on road performance with them. did i mention they are just as quite as the BF AT?

ROTATE THEM!

I have a buddy with Toyos. They are great tires, but he left them in their original location for many miles (25,000-35,000?). They started out nice and quiet (for a MT) and now they are as noisy as any mud tire.

·
Banned
182 Posts
I've had great luck with the Firestone Destination MT's. I was NEVER a "Firestone" guy, but I got them on the recommendation of a few friends.

Noisier than the BFG's, and I've noticed SLIGHTLY less milage but I just rotated the "new" spare into the mix (@ 20-k) and the tread seems to be worn only about 1/3 of the way down...AMAZING for an MT IMO that runs mostly pavement.

That mean I could possibly get around 50 to 60-k out of them...we'll see.

They're a LITTLE slippery on snow, but rated better than most in that and all other conditions.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
As you can tell, lots of opinions and personal experiences.

I've had great luck with BFG TA/ko's. I have 285 16s on my truck and 285 17s on the FJ. On my old Suburban I had over 70,000 miles on them and they still had decent tread left. They are a great wearing tire and adequate for most off-road situations

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the Toyos are pricey and heavy compared to some others. Im also gonna look at Cooper STTs. Thanks for the help if yall have anymore send them on.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I bought Procomp Extreme AT's 305/65/R17 which have more aggressive tread than AT's but have good wear and are not as noisy. My tires have 50,000+ miles on them in about 16 months or so and still have enough tread on them that people ask if they are new.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
ROTATE THEM!

I have a buddy with Toyos. They are great tires, but he left them in their original location for many miles (25,000-35,000?). They started out nice and quiet (for a MT) and now they are as noisy as any mud tire.
that goes without being said for any mud tire. you have to keep your car in good alignment as well as keeping the tires balanced. mud tires are especially sensitive to these things.

weight on the toyo isnt bad. they are by far the best street driven mt that we sell, and they are an exceptional wheeling tire.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I made the mistake of not rotating the MTs. Oh well I'll probably sell the fresh spare and move on to 16" American Racing Teflon coated wheels.

Would still stay with BFG MTs. Put tons of miles on them. Didn't rotate because the miles just started stacking up quickly. Hardly driven the vehicle but maybe a year even though it is an 07. 26k miles or so with 22 at least on the BFGs. The sidewalls are getting torn up a little anyways from wheeling.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just took a trip up the hill to Tahoe, around the lake and went wheelin. 262 miles round trip on 12.9 gallons - on KM2's (285 70/17) at 45psi.. Not bad if I do say.. Nice comfortable ride.
HTH..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts