Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
The interesting thing is, with these vehicles that go 300-400K miles or more, is low mileage really worth that much?
One of the worst financial decisions you can make is to buy a low-miles collector car -- which a low-miles FJ is, for now -- and then put a ton of miles on it. Why is this such a bad financial decision? Depreciation. Let's consider two 2014 TTUE FJs on BringATrailer:

7K miles, $65.5K - 7k-Mile 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Ultimate Edition
63K miles + mods, $39K - Modified 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Ultimate Edition

So you buy a nearly new FJ, put ~$10K in mods on it, drive it 56K miles and now it's worth $26K less than you paid for it (plus the $10K in mods).

Put another way, the depreciation cost of doing ^^^ this is roughly equal to what this 2010 Trail Teams with 73K miles bid to on BringATrailer: 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition

So a +1 to your point, low mileage really isn't worth that much. But also, FJs are overpriced. I regularly see people paying more for 50-60K 2010+ examples than what it would cost to buy a 2016+ GX460 with half as many miles. The GX has a V8, heated & cooled seats, factory nav, a sunroof, will take most suspension / armor mods from a 4Runner.

The biggest risk to these insane low-miles FJ values is Toyota themselves. All Toyota has to do is to release a vehicle that is undeniably superior to the FJ and prices will crash. Will they do this is the big question. A 2-door US "Land Cruiser" with a decent engine would do it.

· Registered
88 Posts
To me, I am always willing to pay a little extra for low mileage. Cars and trucks are rarely ever a sound financial decision anyway. When I buy a new car, it depreciates the second you sign the paper work and drive it off the lot. As far as used, I am a fan of the low mileage garage queens for sure.

· Registered
455 Posts
If the mileage is accurate and well maintained, a low mileage vehicle is always a plus.

I certainly would not sell my 2010 TT for less than 30k

Let the nay sayers babble ....

FJ’s are in demand whether a person likes it or not.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another way to look at it is... this low mileage sample is more than double what I paid for a reasonably used 2008 (100K mile) sample that still has plenty of life. Even if my engine blows up, I could buy another similar vehicle to what I have and still be ahead. :)

· Registered
88 Posts
Still....$48k is crazy for used.
I bought mine new (06) for $19,999.00
The problem is they don't make them anymore. So if you want one, there is only so many out there left and that are for sale. And even less examples of ones that are in good condition, which is especially true with the low mileage such as this one. This is a rare find and $40-$45k is a fair price for this, imo.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem is they don't make them anymore. So if you want one, there is only so many out there left and that are for sale. And even less examples of ones that are in good condition, which is especially true with the low mileage such as this one. This is a rare find and $40-$45k is a fair price for this, imo.
I guess if you're a collector. But I think @jimmy-buffett is right... if you buy this for $47K USD and put 100K miles and a bunch of mods on it over the next several years, it's not going to be worth any more than one you buy today for $25K. So you're throwing $20K away for what? Bragging rights? I dunno. Unless you keep it in a garage, rarely drive it, and don't mod it, it's probably a bad investment.

· Registered
88 Posts
I guess if you're a collector. But I think @jimmy-buffett is right... if you buy this for $47K USD and put 100K miles and a bunch of mods on it over the next several years, it's not going to be worth any more than one you buy today for $25K. So you're throwing $20K away for what? Bragging rights? I dunno. Unless you keep it in a garage, rarely drive it, and don't mod it, it's probably a bad investment.
Well, if you pay $25k for one today? How much is it gonna be worth years from now with another 100k miles on top of what it already has? And also, not many 2012 TT's out there now selling for $25k.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, if you pay $25k for one today? How much is it gonna be worth years from now with another 100k miles on top of what it already has? And also, not many 2012 TT's out there now selling for $25k.
It would be interesting to do a depreciation (appreciation?) analysis. It seems like FJ's generally have three price ranges here in Canada...

• 2010+ ($30-40K CAD -> $22K-30K USD)
  • 2008 ($25-$30K -> $18-22K USD)
  • 2007 ($20-$25K -> $15-18K USD))

Low mileage might get you the top of the range, or even into the next range if very low. So even if this stays constant, and FJs don't depreciate much further, at some point, that 2012 Trail Teams is going to be worth around $40K CAD or 30K USD, which is a drop of about $25K CAD. Whereas if you buy one with 100K miles and 10 years later it has 200K miles, it's value probably won't have changed much... maybe $5K?

Another way to look at it is this is more than the cost of a new 4Runner... with a warranty. :)

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
With good mods, mid-high teens. So not nearly as big of a depreciation loss from 0-100K miles as from 100-200K miles.

On depreciation savings alone most FJ owners who daily drive their FJ could afford to buy a more efficient beater car and essentially have the saved FJ depreciation pay for it. But I think some people reflexively don't want to know more than one / a lot of cars, because of the cost of insuring them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts