Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser require a supercharger and/or brake and sway controllers to safely pull the travel travel under 24ft and 5000lbs?

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I am in the market for a TT right now. My plan is to buy one with a Dry Weight under 4000. Preferably a dry weight closer to 3000. I dont want to push the 5000 pound rating.
Most of what I have found are 22 feet or under.

A weight distribution hitch with sway control is recommended. A brake controller is a must.

A transmission cooler is probable.

For 1 or 2 people the RPod is very popular

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am in the market for a TT right now. My plan is to buy one with a Dry Weight under 4000. Preferably a dry weight closer to 3000. I dont want to push the 5000 pound rating.
Most of what I have found are 22 feet or under.

A weight distribution hitch with sway control is recommended. A brake controller is a must.

A transmission cooler is probable.

For 1 or 2 people the RPod is very popular
Just don’t use weight distribution with the factory Toyota hitch. It’s not wd compatible and you’ll bend the bottom mount bolts. This happened to my dad towing a 3000 lb rpod and me towing a 4000 lb mini toy hauler. Get a drawtite or curt wd compatible hitch from etrailer. Also I’d recommend a sway elimination hitch like a Hensley or propride and not sway control. The fj’s wheelbase is just to short and sway really affects it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
462 Posts
dabeyta3 makes two important and excellent points.
I highly second his recommendations.

• Just don’t use weight distribution with the factory Toyota hitch. It’s not wd compatible and you’ll bend the bottom mount bolts. This happened to my dad towing a 3000 lb rpod and me towing a 4000 lb mini toy hauler.

• Get a drawtite or curt wd compatible hitch from etrailer. Also I’d recommend a sway elimination hitch like a Hensley or propride and not sway control. The fj’s wheelbase is just to short and sway really affects it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My mechanic's recommendation was for the FJ a transmission cooler was a must have - and cheaper than new one - given a TC is ~$150 installed.
It was also recommended I plan to tow at no more 80% of the rating.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My mechanic's recommendation was for the FJ a transmission cooler was a must have - and cheaper than new one - given a TC is ~$150 installed.
It was also recommended I plan to tow at no more 80% of the rating.
I’ve found the Fj actually tows very well as long as you eliminate sway. For me I worry more about the payload vs tow rating. If I go over payload to much handling starts go downhill.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I installed a tranny cooler, even to tow this beast :)

Figured it couldn't hurt.
IMG_1170small.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts