Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What is this? (Newbie Question)

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jcfj10 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I just got my 2012 FJC Base 4WD less than a month ago. I looked at the engine bay when I was inspecting it prior to buying and found this (see pictures). Didn't know what it was, salesperson didn't either. I said well, it drives great so WTH! The orange air hose leads to a fitting that is not attached to anything. Could the previous owner used this as onboard air? Help a newbie out! Thanks in advance!
Moto ServDog

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
If you have a front locker switch 1) congrats! 2) do not engage unless you are going Lo and Slo! What gear ratio do you you have - 4.56? If you do not know please try to get the info - it’ll be important going forward. Feel free to ask any and all newbie questions about this - we will be more than happy to answer anything :wink Sounds like an excellent FJ and interested in know what else you have on it!

#7 ·
Does the stainless braided hose coming out of the compressor hook into the orange hose? Hard to tell from the pics. If so, you simply have on board air. If the braided line snakes it's way down to your front axle/differential area, you have a front locker as well.

#8 · (Edited)
The orange hose terminates with a quick connect fitting like standard air hoses. I am thinking that the orange hose was used to inflate tires on the trail. Plug in an air hose with a tire chuck and fill the tires.

But yes, do look for any extra fittings on the diff. And see where the braided hose goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.