Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Trail Teams
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I could post a video or sound recording because it would make it a lot easier to explain. So, in the afternoon once the FJ has gotten nice and hot here in Florida…AND only when I do like 60mph or more…I’m getting a very loud vibration noise coming from the hood or windshield area. Very loud!

At first I thought it was the bug shield. Nope. Tightened everything I could find under the hood. No help. Then last time it happened I put my hand on the inside windshield and it was vibrating quite a bit. It’s so loud it makes my baby son cry lol. If anyone knows how I can send or upload a video please lmk cause it’s really hard to explain. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
553 Posts
It could be the rubber trim around the front window that vibrates during higher speeds. There are two small panels below the window on the right and left. I would take some painters tape and cover the rubber trim in those areas first and take it for a drive. If that does not work I would take the tape and work your way around the window to see if that makes the sound stop.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,404 Posts
Do you know if the windshield has ever been replaced?
If it has and new clips weren't used, the top trim piece or the panels REEL-M-N mentions might be starting to come loose.

·
17,001 Posts
There's a length of rubber trim at the bottom of the windshield header panel. If it's gone, the panel will vibrate and hum horribly at 60 mph. I took it to a glass shop and they replaced the rubber trim, problem solved.

·
Registered
2010 Trail Teams
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies - very much appreciated. I don’t know if it was ever replaced by the previous owner. I did notice that the rectangular trim piece (header panel?) has play in it. If you press down on it, it’s kind of squishy. I will check more tomorrow and try the tape trick also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like the exact issue I had with my FJ. Turned out the molding piece on the top of the windshield by the roof had a couple of broken clips. Shoddy job by whoever last replaced the windshield. Would make a hell of a racked at highway speeds. Replaced that upper molding piece and all is good. good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Trail Teams
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the exact issue I had with my FJ. Turned out the molding piece on the top of the windshield by the roof had a couple of broken clips. Shoddy job by whoever last replaced the windshield. Would make a hell of a racked at highway speeds. Replaced that upper molding piece and all is good. good luck.
Did you buy that piece online or did you bring it to a shop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually found a reasonably price OEM molding. I brought it to a windshield shop and they installed it. BTW, they mentioned that whenever they replace an FJ windshield, they replace this molding just to avoid issues down the road. They typically use an aftermarket piece. As my memory serves, the toyota trim piece was $100 or so. The aftermarket part the windshield company was going to supply was roughtly $85.

·
Registered
2010 Trail Teams
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great info guys. I went ahead and put painters tape across the top of the windshield yesterday. Today, on my way home, no noise! So I’m going to keep it on all week to be sure. But I’m hopeful you all helped me with this mystery!

·
Registered
2010 Trail Teams
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys, follow up question…tried searching and still a bit unsure. Can I just buy some new clips and reuse the old molding? I know the clips tend to break when removing but it would definitely save $ if I could just replace the 4 clips and not have to buy a new molding & have to paint it too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought a 13 did the same thing very top molding on the windshield is on there with 4 clips and windshield adhesive. Took a popsicle stick went along the edge between the rubber and the glass found where it had loose places. Took black 5200 held a gap with stick put the 5200 up in there. Worked my way across the whole windshield doing the same. When done I cleaned up all the 5200 that leaked out. Then took painters tape made sure the molding was tight on the windshield.Let it dry over night took off tape cleaned up any 5200 that leaked out only a small amount did. Got on the highway got up to 90 no noise fixed. hope this help you.

·
17,001 Posts
All great until you leave nowhere for water to run down and out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn’t do the whole molding. Only the spots that lifted and cause the wind up underneath to start the vibration noise at speeds above 60

1 - 13 of 13 Posts