Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strange bilstein 5100 lift? pics

evening fellas! I have an 07 2wd fj cruiser. I replaced the oem 2wd springs with the 4wd springs all around. I have also installed bilstein 5100 shocks all around. The truck gained a huge lift, especially in the back. problem is I wanted to get my rig leveled. I have read that to get my 2wd fj level i was suppose to do the second notch. I did the second notch and i still have a huge rake! like two inches.

I have included pics so you can judge for yourselves. I want her leveled but by the looks of the amount of rake looks like i am going to have to go 4th notch??? Am i wrong in thinking 4th notch? should i do third notch instead?

pictures go: driver front 34.25" and passenger front 34 5/8" then the last 2 are driver rear 37" and passenger rear 37.5"

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is before and after attachments.

if my math is correct third notch would add 0.9 inches so that would get me at 35.15" and 35.525 in the front vs 37 in the back. 4th notch would add .75" and should get me at 35.9 and 36.2 in the front vs 37 in the back.

the forums have people pretty much the same at 37 the front and back :(. Why are my numbers so different!?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Worn out front spring vs new rear ones ?

Reactions: Andrew Jacob Engel

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
Are your rear springs seated correctly? Are your 5100 spring perches installed right?

The 4WD springs alone are enough to level a 2WD, and the rear springs are all the same so something doesn't add up!

37" measurement is correct for the rear though so I don't think it is too high. Just figure something is wrong up front to still be at a stock height with the 4x4 springs and 2nd notch!

Take a picture of the whole front strut if you can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Worn out front spring vs new rear ones ?
I have some spacers I can install but i shouldn't need them. If worn front springs are the issue can my front shocks break because of this?

Are your rear springs seated correctly? Are your 5100 spring perches installed right?

The 4WD springs alone are enough to level a 2WD, and the rear springs are all the same so something doesn't add up!
The 4wd rear and front springs have 1 more coil than the 2wd. the rear went up to 37" which is about what every 4wd fj on here has. The front springs are seated correctly and when installed the front got lifted but not as much as it was suppose to i think.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
If you are using regular springs, the 5100 will do the lifting and you need to dial the height with the shocks. On the other hand if you use springs like Old Man Emus ( OME ) THEY do the lifting and the 5100s need to be dialed at the lowest settings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are using regular springs, the 5100 will do the lifting and you need to dial the height with the shocks. On the other hand if you use springs like Old Man Emus ( OME ) THEY do the lifting and the 5100s need to be dialed at the lowest settings.
I changed all four 2wd oem springs with 4wd oem springs. the springs are used and the fj they were on before has one of the heavy front bumpers. maybe they got worn out because of this.?

I would like to get the front closer to 37"

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
I guess that is possible. Has to be some explanation as 2nd notch + 4x4 springs should be plenty high on a 2wd, not just up to where a stock 4x4 would typically be.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
The amount of space between each notch is not the amount of lift you get. You are adding spring rate when you change notch's so you will gain more than 3/4" of height. There is a formula that I saw but I can not for the life of me find it. Move to the third notch and recheck ride height and you'll see you're level.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I changed all four 2wd oem springs with 4wd oem springs. the springs are used and the fj they were on before has one of the heavy front bumpers. maybe they got worn out because of this.?

Sounds like that could be a contributor (front sprints compressed due to heavier bumper)... as others said, try the 3rd notch.

my measurements posted here with factory springs and Bilsteins on 3rd notch:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-bilstein-5100-level-poll-13.html#post8458210

Just after install they were as follows, and I haven't measured since to see if it has changed.

My before measurements:

DF: 34 1/2 "
DR: 36 1/4 "
PF: 34 3/4 "
PR: 36 3/4 "

My after measurements:

DF: 36 1/2 "
DR: 36 1/2 "
PF: 37 "
PR: 37 "

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts

Ouch that may be it, a heavy bumper on stock springs might have killed them ( compressed ) Like others have said try going up to the 3rd notch and see what you get. But i would definitely start looking for new ones or used OME light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like that could be a contributor (front sprints compressed due to heavier bumper)... as others said, try the 3rd notch.

my measurements posted here with factory springs and Bilsteins on 3rd notch:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-bilstein-5100-level-poll-13.html#post8458210

Just after install they were as follows, and I haven't measured since to see if it has changed.

My before measurements:

DF: 34 1/2 "
DR: 36 1/4 "
PF: 34 3/4 "
PR: 36 3/4 "

My after measurements:

DF: 36 1/2 "
DR: 36 1/2 "
PF: 37 "
PR: 37 "
My ideal would be your measurements

The amount of space between each notch is not the amount of lift you get. You are adding spring rate when you change notch's so you will gain more than 3/4" of height. There is a formula that I saw but I can not for the life of me find it. Move to the third notch and recheck ride height and you'll see you're level.

They came with this paper

Attachments

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have a 4x4. Mine are set on 3rd notch. I did set just slightly lower in back with oem shocks. I changed to Billy's in the rear too and it's pretty level.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Honestly just pull them and set them higher. I'm telling you this from experience, this is what I had to do when installing my 6112's, granted, my FJ is a 4wd so it's a little different. Bump them to the 4th or 5th (max) spring perch notch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So to give the thread some closure I took my fj back to the shop. Had them raise my bilsteins to the last notch (4th) a couple months ago. But there was still an issue with my rear height being different by more than an inch on passenger vs driver side. I found that my rear lower control arm was bent! swapped that out myself today and the fj now sits 36" in the front and 37" in the back. differences are in the 1/4 of an inch. Finally sorted my rig's height problems lol. Thanks to everybody that chimed in to help me figure out why everything was so whack!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts