Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of GPS are you using and what do you like/dislike about it?

Anyone have a GPS that fits the following description? If so, what is it?

- Handheld / mobile
- Path tracking (export to software)
- Barometric pressure
- Speed
- Altitude
- ...more?

Right now I'm using the free Android app ("My Tracks") but I would like a stand alone unit, that I can leave in my vehicle...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Garmin - Incorporated in Kennwood Navi headunit

-Like :Accurate, easy to use

Dislike : 99$ Map updates.... Unable to "make" new trails ( to map out where you go when not on map ) or to add multiple waypoints , "bread crums" to be followed after .Topo maps are available but not easy to install. But that may be because of my setup.

It has all the other bling stuff, altitude, speed, positioning, gas consumption, trip, Speed Limit, time of arrival, etc...

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Garmin - Incorporated in Kennwood Navi headunit

-Like :Accurate, easy to use

Dislike : 99$ Map updates.... Unable to "make" new trails ( to map out where you go when not on map ) or to add multiple waypoints , "bread crums" to be followed after .Topo maps are available but not easy to install. But that may be because of my setup.

It has all the other bling stuff, altitude, speed, positioning, gas consumption, trip, Speed Limit, time of arrival, etc...
Currently same setup here. As an onroad device A+. Off road I am constantly amazed how many offroad trails are depicted. IE.. at summit all the trails I went on were shown on the screen. Blackbear, alpine loop poughkeepsie.

But for trails not in the software it really was weak like CB said above. Lack of laying breadcrumbs and ease of adding topos.

I'm currently working on a netbook w/gps puck solution. Still looking for good usable software though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550. I didn't buy it for the FJ but for my motorcycle but it includes a car mount as well. It has built in bluetooth, mp3 player and you can get an external antenna for xm. It's waterproof and has served me well. I have never tried using it on any trails but use it in town all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Garmin Colorado 400T, used for Geocaching, back country nav on foot and bicycle, tracking location/altitude/speed in flight, and vehicle nav in rentals. LOVE IT!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a garmin 1450t. It has all the bells and whistles. I have it mounted
in that flat area between the door and steering wheel. Within easy reach.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback so far, this should give me plenty of reading to do:bigthumb:

I'm currently working on a netbook w/gps puck solution. Still looking for good usable software though.
This is what I'd eventually like to do. I wonder if there is a way to sync your vehicle with a program like Google Maps/Earth for tracking and data logging?

That would be awesome to me...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Quest 2. It's very portable and also water resistant. Unlike most GPS, this isn't a touch screen, but it's sips battery. I sometimes run Mavrick's android app on my phone. You can download or make your own maps.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
im waiting to see if the new amazon kindle fire will have a gps nav app. a few people have done it with ipads but I cant justify the price just for gps

·
Banned
6,079 Posts
I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT... Just getting used to it but it's pretty cool. Voice activated, bluetooth, 3D Terrain, traffic updates, lifetime maps, touchscreen, portable w/charging base, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quest 2. It's very portable and also water resistant. Unlike most GPS, this isn't a touch screen, but it's sips battery. I sometimes run Mavrick's android app on my phone. You can download or make your own maps.
Can you log your path and upload it to a computer on the Quest 2?

Garmin gpsmap 276C for the last 4 years
I really like this unit, but I'm not sure if I can justify the price...yet

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yes. you can have breadcrumbs. You could also get mapsource from Garmin. I often get files from GPSfiledepot.com (topo maps) and load them onto the GPS. It doesn't have a lot of memory, but it's enough for me to load the maps I want on it.

·
Desert Moderator
6,191 Posts
This is an old thread and I haven't read all the way through or even skipped to the end yet, but I have several.
Gaia on my phone
Garmin Explore on my phone
A Garmin Fenix 5 watch
A Garmin Inreach Mini (with Garmin earthmate on phone)
Garmin basecamp software on my laptop
I also have a Suunto watch which is excellent and probably the easiest to use for desert navigation.
My daily driver is my Garmin watch & phone. Inreach is for those "oh sh1t" moments and works with my watch & phone as well as standalone and is always in my bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts