Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a Demello flat top bumper and sliders will be adding a SmittyBilt 8k winch. My Fj is a daily driver and will only be able to go on a couple of real off road trips a year (Colorado, Black Hills SD. and hopefully Moab some day) otherswise off roading is very limited in Iowa. I am on a budget and would like to keep the lift under $1000 from what I've read OME fits what I'm looking for but is this the best lift for what I need?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want a close to factory ride, if I go with OME should I do mediums all the way around?

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
eh, I say look around... there's a lot of set ups that are more to your need that only you can decide on.. we have lots of info here on the forum :cheers: happy reading

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think OME is overkill or not enough I would like to have a lift that I will not want to upgrade in a year or two.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
I'm just saying that there is a lot of types, for a lot of different people. Best bet is to read up on the forum and make your decision based on your needs. Not only do you have choices on brands but sizes too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Do you think OME is overkill or not enough I would like to have a lift that I will not want to upgrade in a year or two.
You may upgrade in the future. Not that the OME or other options are not good, but when you start going off-road, you may realize it is alot of fun. The more you do it, the more you learn, and then you realize you need to upgrade to better options.

I agree with Athena, look around. Take a little time and learn from others on this site. Think about what type of off-roading you want to do. More slow speed off-road, or more high speed desert type off-roading.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
I agree with Athena, look around. Take a little time and learn from others on this site. Think about what type of off-roading you want to do. More slow speed off-road, or more high speed desert type off-roading.
I only come from experience. I went with what someone suggested and in less than a year I ended up changing it.... I didn't regret it, but wish I just took the time to figure out how I was going to use my rig before I rushed to get what I could get my hands on at the time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I only come from experience. I went with what someone suggested and in less than a year I ended up changing it.... I didn't regret it, but wish I just took the time to figure out how I was going to use my rig before I rushed to get what I could get my hands on at the time.
I too come from experience. Originally went with OME. Great suspension for what it was. I have always been a desert runner with my motorcycles, and eventually I just wanted to desert run in the FJ more. The OME suspension is not for desert running, and like you, I changed my suspension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I think i should have been more detailed with my post Im just a little overwhelmed with all the options I seem to have. I have spent a good amount of time researching the lift options that are out there (ask my wife.) What I am ultimately looking for is a 3" lift for mountain trail driving and hunting/fishing decent for light rock crawling if it would even be considered rock crawling I guess and is good enough I will not want to upgrade in the future. I am new to off roading but like all my other hobbies will not lose interest any time soon.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had the OME lift before I switched to the Total Chaos ling travel suspension. I ran the Rubicon Trail twice with my OME suspension and it did great. The OME will most likely work well for you. Also check out some of the other options, just to compare.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I want a close to factory ride, if I go with OME should I do mediums all the way around?
Then don't go with OME. OME is a much more firm ride than stock.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I haven't experienced all the suspensions setups out there, but from what I've read, at the $1,000 price range aside from a stock suspension set up, the only thing you'll find that will be comparable to the stock feel is a spacer lift. A spacer lift is just your stock suspension with some "spacers" at the top to help lift the vehicle (kind of self explanatory). Since you're keeping the stock suspension it will feel about the same. But the downfall to a spacer lift is the fact that you're keeping your stock suspension. Not to say the stock suspension is bad, it's just nowhere near as good as pretty much all the aftermarket stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Unless You just want a lift.. You should really consider going with Better springs to both help with the Limited offroading and added weight on the vehicle.
I would have to agree with Athena on looking around DO alot of reading and see what others are running on theirs for the terrain they are running... I went big, I do alot of Mud.... (its a Florida thing)
Biggest mistake alot of people make, is they rush into mods based on what some one said they needed with out doing the research. I suggest reading through members Builds to start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts