Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to join in on the TG's. But is everybody running the E or D load range?

E is 3ply inner and 10 ply side
&
D is 2ply inner and 8 ply side
Right???

Thanks for the input here.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I am running the D...plenty without extra weight...even the D rated weight limit is more than some E rated tires.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Mine happen to be E rated although I am confident the D is more than adequate as far as durability. D and E rated tires are normally used on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Currently D rated, the new ones being installed tomorrow are E rated. (That's what hapens when you let your husband order your new tires and he's obsessed with having the "best" of everything :rolleyes:)

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Mine are E rated (10 Ply) and I've learned that 10 or 8 ply doesn't really mean it has 10 or 8 plies. It's a thickness rating now but they use they ply rating system based on the OLD rating scales when they started using plies. Anyhow, I was going to get 8 ply, but they couldn't get the right size at the time I was ordering them and sold me the 10 ply at the same price.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I have E's on my TGs. Purely by accident, I wasn't really looking for one or the other, I have heard that both are more then adequate for the FJ.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called and spoke to a tech rep at Nitto yesterday. He said to use the P Metric. Mainly because it was designed for the FJ. It avoids any slight rubbing issues and maintains a quality on road ride without giving up any off road ability. They have another FJ they use the P Metrics on and it works great on and off road he said.

So I guess I'll be ordering the 285 P Metrics and hope the P doesnt stand for PoP like somebody else on the forum metioned. I'm pretty confident the P's will hold up just as well as the D & E's. He said the D & E was made for F-150 & 250's. And if the manufacture recommended the P Metrics then I'll try them out.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I'm sure my 10 ply were overkill, but they don't rub, they weight isn't a huge issue and I'm sure I can run over several mesquite trees and not get a flat. So I'm good, hope the P tires work out for you. Best of luck

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Keep the forum posted on the P-metrics. I am also in the market and was planning on either the Terra Grapplers or BFG All-Terrains. I have had some great conversations with Nitto at SEMA and love their street tires.....

My opinion is free and worth every penny.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
I just was browsing Discount Tire's website (I figured I could mention them as they are the supporting vendor for this thread!) and the P-metrics are only available in stock size for the 17" wheel....no help for me with my 16" off-road package wheels. I'll go with the D-range it appears.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts