Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't flame me too bad. This idea is in design stage. What one looks like the better way to go? One is from a Taho & the other I made out of 1/4" wood. I will be recovering both in new material to better match the FJ interior color, that's why a patch is cut out of the Taho one. They are both very far from complete. Can't decide what one to scrap & witch one to keep going with-- or let me know if they both suck. I do need to make a face plate for the wooden one to cover the gap on the left side, had to make room for the mic to plug in (side plug). Lots of room for the powered speaker for the CB & Scanner & any aux. switch's I may need for off-road lights or what ever. Found a great spot to mount the gauges in the Taho one. Both are going to be a challenge to mount to the roof, new headliner is over $1000, if I end up destroying it. I don't know, let me know what you all think. Should I go with one or the other, junk the whole idea before I cut into the headliner??? Here's a few pic.'s. Not very good, I had to hold the things up w/ one hand & take the pic.'s with the other.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
second one, first looks heavy as hell

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I personally like the Tahoe one as it's thinner and provides console lights, etc.

But, can you get the gear in it you want to use???

Good Work!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,I'll tell ya, the Taho one is heavier. The wood is very thin, almost weigh's nothing by itself. Ya, I like the fact that the light's are there(solves the light issue) & I can fit the gauges in there. They will both end up looking as factory as possable, still in the rough cut stage. Thanks for the opin.,Thought I'd get "scrap it" right from the start...

·
Registered
849 Posts
the wood one looks too big and like it doesnt belong there....the second one is more streamlined and looks like it should be there.....i understand the wood one would be covered, etc...but the size and shape of it just doesnt look right to me.
if you are going to use one of them.....go with the second one...i like that one better.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Definitely the second one, I like the way the two radios flip down, It reminds me of the overhead console Tuffy makes for the Heeps...Err I mean the Jeeps:disgust:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Second one looks like a cleaner setup.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The Taho one was the first one I started, used the idea's from other forum members. But I needed more than just the stock form, so I started hacking it up. The reason I gave up is the way it assembles, from the back side, with the radio's installed there was no way to mount to roof. Too heavy to use taho mounting points-1 screw in the front & the plastic "hooks" in the rear. I'll need to revisit the mounting issue, I like that one better too. Than again I may just scrap it & wait for aftermarket Co.to catch up with our needs. I had a "shelf-it" along time ago, but was useless for the scanner. Could not see display, ment to be mounted under dash.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The second one looks better. But the first has possibilities. How about a version 3: stagger the mounting of radios in a ply box? Makes for less depth as with the Tahoe version. Skip the boxy extension toward the rear? Or leave it as a place to mount lights or other accessories. It's looking good, good luck making a solid mount for them.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I really like the low profile of the second one. Instead of the 2 gauges in the front you could make a mount for a GPS or a ScanGauge or other popular item.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i will have to go with the general consensus here the first has some definate possibilities but in general is too boxy looking, maybe a different design? the second is slimmer better built but can it hold all the functions you want it to?

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
I like the 2nd one better, more streamline and less obstructive. I really like the stagger mounting. As others have said maybe tweak the ply design to allow for stagger mounting.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
The 2nd 1.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
851 Posts
Definitely the second one. You could make that look like factory.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'll look into a ply. side-by-side but , that might be too wide for both units. There about 7"wide each, but I like the idea. Still playing with some more ideas. I really like overhead consoles in anything. I wish I could just by one. The mounting part is the going to be the real trick here. I've requested pic's with the headliner out(& nice responce BTW), & I sure did not like what I saw up there. About 2" of dead space & only 1 support beam that is close enough to be useable.Going to be somewhat of a challenge to do w/o dropping headliner.//// Toledo FJ, feal free to show the pic.'s to your carbon fiber buddy, see what he thinks. I'll PM you with a few more Pictures.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
I'd say the second one.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone, I needed the feed back. Over this weekend will try to use the two designs & come up with a 3rd that is a bit simpler to mount & not look so box'ey. I wish one of the venders would come out with something like this so I could toss this crap I've got in the can & just buy one. I wonder if there is a way to find out if any are working on somthing like this. Maybe I'll try firing off a few e-mail's to some of the venders here, & see if there is a product comming anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts