Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked KBB and with 19k, my trade in value is only $20K (excellent condition)! I'm not looking to trade it in anytime soon, I just stay curious as to whether I'm upside down or not and 6 months ago it was about $27K, that's a $7000 drop in 6 months!!!!

Is this from the gas prices? Everyone trading to more economical cars. I know Dodge and Ford are offering some pretty crazy deals in the OK area, up to $15K off Dodge trucks. Or are the FJ's sold to the vast mojority of people that want one, so sales are slowing?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really sucks to have bought such a nice rig and watch it's value plummet. Oh well, I still love driving it!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yup, gas prices are the culprit. I've seen 3 SUVs for sale on my little country road alone.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Gas prices and the large number of SUVs that are sitting on dealer lots. For the same reason, the value of 10 year old, 40 mpg econoboxes has almost doubled in the same time frame.

It is a GREAT time to buy one, but with that, our trade-in value is dropping like a rock. Since I plan on keeping the FJ, it doesnt really affect me that much outside of the pump.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I read an article about Geo Metros going on Ebay for the same price as they originally sold for over 10 years ago because of the great gas mileage. My commute is only 7 miles wound trip so I am not too concerned...yet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
And the worse news is good luck getting KBB value on a trade. When I was looking to trade for my FJ the best trade offer I got was $8K *below* KBB. Ended up selling it for about KBB tho.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve been watching my Liberty CRD (Aaccccckk Tpuie) drop like a rock in the last few months. Average trade is close to ½ what retail was/is. And in the last 2 weeks alone retail on it took a $2500 hit.
Been watching closely because I want to get an FJ. :mecry:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Automotive depreciation is a world unto itself. People used to joke about the idea that driving a new car off the lot depreciated it by thousands but that is not entirely a myth. The depreciation is definitely higher during the first couple years......The first twelve months will often drop a vehicles worth by 25-40% of its purchase price. Retail mark up and vehicle availability play a big part too. A year ago it was rare to see a used FJ on a car lot and that maintained a high price for used ones. Now there are quite a few used FJs on the lots so the price is alot lower. .......

It sucks that our pride and joys are getting devalued....But just think if you were still making payments on a 3yr old pontiac Sunfire?????.....now that would depress me.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Even the almighty "Toyota resale value" that everyone used to brag about cannot fight the effects of the high gas prices and reduced demand for SUVs and trucks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dealers won't touch any big SUV's since they can't sell them,there's one Nissan (used) Dealer that has soo many trucks and SUV's on their lot,they have resorted to attaching "birthday-type" ballons to the atennas of some of the Hummer's(H2),Expeditions and Tahoes,to get customers to come look at them,it's not working..most of the customers are in the "car-lot".:indifferent:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
My dad sold cars (and anything else he could) his entire life and whenever anyone would ask "what's it worth" he'd say "whatever you can get out of it".... It doesn't really matter what it cost, what it has, what you've done with it, nothing other that what someone is willing to pay for it.

Me.. I've worked on/with computers (servers) for the last thirty years and whenever someone says "it's obsolete when you walk out the door" I always ask them "does it not do all the stuff it did when you bought it"?

The reality/irony of both statements is the expectations. Ron

I just checked KBB and with 19k, my trade in value is only $20K (excellent condition)! I'm not looking to trade it in anytime soon, I just stay curious as to whether I'm upside down or not and 6 months ago it was about $27K, that's a $7000 drop in 6 months!!!!

Is this from the gas prices? Everyone trading to more economical cars. I know Dodge and Ford are offering some pretty crazy deals in the OK area, up to $15K off Dodge trucks. Or are the FJ's sold to the vast mojority of people that want one, so sales are slowing?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just messing around on the Subaru website because I kinda dig the new STI, and their trade in calculator thingy put my FJ at about $17-$18K! That's what initially got me to KBB to look there. I can't believe how much it's dropping. Like I said in my original post though, I'm really not interested in trading it in. In my area it costs on average, $60 for me to fill up the tank and that lasts me about 2-3 weeks. So, I'm totally happy hanging on to my FJ.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My dad sold cars (and anything else he could) his entire life and whenever anyone would ask "what's it worth" he'd say "whatever you can get out of it".... It doesn't really matter what it cost, what it has, what you've done with it, nothing other that what someone is willing to pay for it.

Me.. I've worked on/with computers (servers) for the last thirty years and whenever someone says "it's obsolete when you walk out the door" I always ask them "does it not do all the stuff it did when you bought it"?

The reality/irony of both statements is the expectations. Ron
I always know it's you posting because of the "Ron" at the end, I seldom look at avatars. I was just going to let you know that I appreciate your inputs that I see all over this forum. You give good information and good food for thought.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think most of it is related to the price you can get on a new FJ now. When it first came out you had to pay close to sticker, a good deal back then was 500 below MSRP, now it seems like a good deal $500 above invoice and possibly better.

Mine had a sticker of $30,600, my price a few months ago before gas went about $4.00 $24,700 with the cash back. When I was doing my shopping that was the close to the price of going used. So why buy a new when the dealers are giving great prices on a new one because of the high gas prices.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Thank you. That's nice of you to say.. Cheers.. Ron

I always know it's you posting because of the "Ron" at the end, I seldom look at avatars. I was just going to let you know that I appreciate your inputs that I see all over this forum. You give good information and good food for thought.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
and so it goes fear strikes the hearts lol price goes up and down like the stock market some people panic some dont, mine is paid for i say bring it on! at worst case scenario if i cant afford to drive it I shall erect a big pile of rocks in the yard and park it on top as a monument, he he no way im driving some stupid little geo, i will ride a horse first.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
and so it goes fear strikes the hearts lol price goes up and down like the stock market some people panic some dont, mine is paid for i say bring it on! at worst case scenario if i cant afford to drive it I shall erect a big pile of rocks in the yard and park it on top as a monument, he he no way im driving some stupid little geo, i will ride a horse first.
x2, except for the paid off part. I'll make a house out of mine if need be.

Cheap rent :jester:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts