Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker here...

Been looking at a few different modifications to do as we get into the spring and I can spend 10x my tax return in just a few minutes if I am not careful! I am updating/upgrading a fun daily driver with off-road time being pretty light (i.e. no risk of body damage, no dedicated wheeling trips). On now is a level lift, fog lights, baja roof rack, and 285/75/16 Duratracs. Thinking of tube doors (fun, summer thing)? Figuring some sort of different fender combo (No Bushwacker)?

What modifications do people regret?

What did modifications did you undo?

What did you wish you had done in the first place?

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Regret - Snorkel, they are cool but somehow IMO it looks off on my FJ....maybe because I have no roof rack?

Undo - cowl light brackets, storage basket and side rack - all poor quality. Would have cost me more to fix and recoat so out they came and straight to the dumpster.

First - Bussman realy/fuse box. Makes everything nice and neat un der the hood.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Regret: Buying really cheap bumper lights from amazon. I wish I'd have just saved up more money for decent quality ones.

Undone: Went from a 4' CB antenna to a 2' one, only minor impact on signal and I fit through a drive-through again!

First Place: Like Mikey said, some kind of relay/fuse box. Even with just a couple of electrical mods I have more wires than I'd like running around the FJ.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
As @mikey and @DubstepPear have mentioned, wiring/relay/fuse/switches setup covers all three of your questions. I regret the money I spent on my earlier attempts, I've undone and redone most of my add-on wiring at least twice, and I wish I would have gone with a centralized Bussman box in the first place. Currently running the Bussman box and bracket from Shrockworks which is serving my purposes well. Getting this right the first time takes an enormous amount of forethought though so I figure most people go through some re-wiring along the way.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Another thing I wish I would have done right off the bat - 3M clear bra

Reactions: Hannibal

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Regret: waiting so long to get one (but I got a really good one when I did, so that is forgiven)

Undo: first aftermarket stereo I fitted (OEM one was impossible to read in daylight, wearing sunglasses, so I replaced it immediately) was fine, but a year later I upgraded to a modern NAVI unit with a backup camera, and Bluetooth, and hands free phone, and SD card compatibility (all of those are really handy, and bring the truck right up to date, electronic-wise)

First: LED dome lights (WOW), LED driving lights on the front bumper (also, WOW), if fitting 7" round like I've got in my avatar I recommend you use the PIAA mounting kit because it is awesome, simple and made of stainless steel (no rust).

also, supercharger (worth every penny, including the mpg hit you take forever afterwards, totally worth it)

Other potentials: If you go over speed humps very much, you'll notice the "milkshake roll" the rear suspension causes (whole cab rotates from side to side, due to the rear geometry, you hardly notice it under normal driving but speed humps make it happen very noticeably and I've got a lot of them on my daily commute). A pair of $80 rear spring air bags, set at minimum pressure eliminates it completely (hooray).

folding cargo tote for the rear area (awesome for carrying groceries, or any medium sized objects)

Undercoating and rust remediation!!! Deal with it sooner, rather than regretting it later. Lots of great threads on here with details. Definitely a "first thing" kind of thing to get done.

N

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
First: Smitty Built side steps. Diana needed those to be able to get in easily. (tires soon after)

Regret: None really.

Undo: Changed to more aggressive tires after I retired and FJ not really a daily driver anymore. Not an UNDO? :)

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,935 Posts

Since sold, but getting replacement panels was a biotch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting stuff so far... I can totally see the value in a stand alone fuse block as I did exactly that in a race car to keep everything readily identifiable and easy to troubleshoot.

On my end... not super into my Baja rack as it is rusting about 5 spots. Love the rack, not the rust

I also have some sort of "off brand" Weathertech floor mats and they are not very "accurate"

Kinda with that I had gone with 17" wheels as opposed to 16" as there are way more tire options it seems these days

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,935 Posts

Since sold, but getting replacement panels was a biotch.

Why did you regret this? What kind of bracket are these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problems whatsoever with the hardware. Those Trailworx mounts and the Arsenal 50” curved bar were top notch. I just NEVER used it. Even when in the middle of nowhere.... a bazillion lumens on your forehead is just too much. You could “see the air”. Haze. A common street sign would blind you in turn. Also, while I had it totally quiet, it would catch a lot of wind. Just a lot of money spent only to hole-up my pristine panels. Someone else on this forum somewhere has since put this whole thing to better use (probably)

Reactions: Hannibal

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
interesting how many comments about aftermarket parts rusting badly, that has been my typical experience too

It turns out that powder coat, though it looks awesome when you take the parts out of the blister pack, tends to fail catastrophically when the process is not followed exactly right. Normal paint tends to be far more forgiving in that regard.

Also, suspension parts from Toyota come only in primer (black e-coat), which is really good primer, but not UV stable (not supposed to be needed because under the car, hidden from the sun, sort of). It is a good idea to paint them with any quality black paint before fitting, to avoid rust. Black, steel wheel rims for example, will rust after just a few winters unless painted black on top of the factory black coating.

So, one more piece of advice to avoid regret, then, would be: paint everything before fitting it, to avoid rust.

N

·
Registered
12 Posts
No problems whatsoever with the hardware. Those Trailworx mounts and the Arsenal 50” curved bar were top notch. I just NEVER used it. Even when in the middle of nowhere.... a bazillion lumens on your forehead is just too much. You could “see the air”. Haze. A common street sign would blind you in turn. Also, while I had it totally quiet, it would catch a lot of wind. Just a lot of money spent only to hole-up my pristine panels. Someone else on this forum somewhere has since put this whole thing to better use (probably)

Aww, gotcha. I'm tempted to get these brackets as well as some KCHilites Gravity lights but I'm on the fence on spending $1500 for lights. It's it worth it or would I be better off using that money on some other upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I don`t really regret any of my mods. Kings, A lot of All Pro items. Bumpers. Winch. I did have wheel spacers I didn`t care for so I got rid of them. Other than that I like what I got :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Out of all the mods ive done the only one I regret is my crappy car stereo.
Pioneer top of the line(at least it was a couple years ago when I got it) Avic 8200 head unit.
What a pile of junk. Main complaint, Android auto(with pixel phone even) doesnt work at all. Apple car play with an iphone 8+ is crap.
Pioneer says try a different usb cable.. waste of more time and money listening to them.
Its crap. Never another Pioneer. Wife’s Alpine is amazing and less than money.

I do think the Icons are overrated having had Swayaways and Kinks on previous vehicles, but I’m still happy with them, just not overwhelmed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am close to regretting my choice of Toytec springs and Bilstein 5100's.

To be clear, they are an improvement to the stock shocks and springs in ride quality/damping, roll control and brake dive, but if you put any amount of weight in the back of the car, it sinks and rides nose up. I had about 150 lbs of stuff in the back and that was enough to drop it about 2". Once in a while, I tow my BIL's 18' center console and it drops about 4". I wanted stock like ride quality because most of my time is spent on roads and without towing, but I think this may be a little too soft.

I am happy with everything else.

First, I would prevent further rusting of the underside of the truck. I have under 50k on it and dread the process of painting it with POR15 and then painting it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I am close to regretting my choice of Toytec springs and Bilstein 5100's.

To be clear, they are an improvement to the stock shocks and springs in ride quality/damping, roll control and brake dive, but if you put any amount of weight in the back of the car, it sinks and rides nose up. I had about 150 lbs of stuff in the back and that was enough to drop it about 2". Once in a while, I tow my BIL's 18' center console and it drops about 4". I wanted stock like ride quality because most of my time is spent on roads and without towing, but I think this may be a little too soft.

I am happy with everything else.

First, I would prevent further rusting of the underside of the truck. I have under 50k on it and dread the process of painting it with POR15 and then painting it.

Some inexpensive airbags like the Airlift 1000 would solve that for you.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
interesting how many comments about aftermarket parts rusting badly, that has been my typical experience too

It turns out that powder coat, though it looks awesome when you take the parts out of the blister pack, tends to fail catastrophically when the process is not followed exactly right. Normal paint tends to be far more forgiving in that regard.

Also, suspension parts from Toyota come only in primer (black e-coat), which is really good primer, but not UV stable (not supposed to be needed because under the car, hidden from the sun, sort of). It is a good idea to paint them with any quality black paint before fitting, to avoid rust. Black, steel wheel rims for example, will rust after just a few winters unless painted black on top of the factory black coating.

So, one more piece of advice to avoid regret, then, would be: paint everything before fitting it, to avoid rust.

N
Out of all the items I have that are powder coated - Demello's is holding up by far the best. My sliders are almost 6 years old at will need some touch ups this spring.

Most others doesn't make a year before flaking or rusting.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mods I regret: my Sierra LED dual white amber light bar. I have had nothing but problems with it. I am on my 3rd one. Even with a lifetime warranty I will not do another replacement.

Mods that I undo: none

Mods that I regret: after lifting my FJ I should of gone with a 285 75 r17 rather than the typical 285 70 r17. I was afraid to do a BMC back then.

Reactions: Mrdumass
1 - 20 of 23 Posts